LAMP - Linux Apache Mysql Php

Guest luke_a

Guest luke_a

We need to get another dedicated server, we have already decided on a host (as we use them for a windows dedicated server) and they offer RedHat Linux 3 ES and they allow you to supply your own OS.

We need to be able to support CubeCart. Its Requirements are:

PHP 4.1.1 + (Scripting Language)

MySQL 3.23 + (Database Server) MySQL 5 is currently not compatible.

GD 1.6 + (Image Library) Optional in v3

Linux / Unix recommended

If our requirements were to change, say for instance we needed PHP5/MySQL5 support also, is it possible to have both on the server?

I am a total Linux numpty, never used it for more than 5 minutes and that was on a GNOME desktop so didnt actually learn much apart from how to install a few different distros.

With the server we have from them at the moment, we have remote desktop access, and H-Sphere web control panel. So we have total control over it..... what would be the linux equivalent to this? Is it possible to have remote access with a GNOME desktop to make it easier to use?

Thanks.

We need to get another dedicated server, we have already decided on a host (as we use them for a windows dedicated server) and they offer RedHat Linux 3 ES and they allow you to supply your own OS.
I suspect you are a bit confused.

A Red Hat Linux server is one that uses the Red Hat operating system, usually together with Apache. Whatever is the current MySQL and PHP configuration is also common for such a server, dedicated or shared, managed or self-managed.

What makes me think you are confused are the questions about Gnome. You need not have a Linux desktop to interact with that kind of Linux server. While it can be done - and I'm sure many do - it's just as simple with a WinXP desktop if the server is equipped with a combination of Web Host Manager and cPanel.

WHM simplifies managing mutiple domains on a single server and cPanel gives each domain owner an excellent GUI for controlling the domain. Some server suppliers offer what I consider inferior proprietary or "off-brand" alternatives. I suspect they are saving money but, in my opinion, none of those alternatives are in the same league as the above combo.

As for CubeCart, it runs beuatifully on a server configured that way. cPanel even incudes a few dozen user apps, including CC, already installed on the server, that only need activation with a few fields filled in and three or four clicks.

Hope that helps.

edit: thanks for the PM, think I might get a book to understand linux better. Any recommendations?
There are so many choices - and the value of any depends on your needs, what you brintg, etc.

I suggest spedning time browsing either a Barnes and Noble, or the well equipped library of a college that offers a CS degree.