Step by step direction for upgrading needed

Guest BuymyJewelry

Guest BuymyJewelry

I looked at the change log, but have no idea how to do this. can someone give me advice?

these are the instructions... what does this mean?

Auto Method

+------------------------------------------------

a. Upload every file to the server replacing your existing ones excluding:

includes/global.inc.php

install/

language/*/home.inc.php (If you have made changes.)

b. Upload upgrade/scripts/3.0.{6-10}-3.0.11/upgrade.php to the store root.

e. Run the script in your browser.

e.g. http://www.example.com/store/upgrade.php

f. Delete this file after upgrade for security reasons.

g. Your store should have been upgraded.

| Manual Method

includes/global.inc.php

install/

b. Run the following sql command using a tool such as phpMyAdmin

Replace {PREFIX} with your store tables prefix if you have one.

ALTER TABLE `{PREFIX}CubeCart_taxes` CHANGE `percent` `percent` DECIMAL( 7, 4 ) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0.0000'

c. Your store should have been upgraded

| Upgrade complete.

Wow... what a great forum... no replies so far.. I've heard that cubecart's forum was supposed to be outstanding, but you've been waiting since yesterday, and no response.

At least some administrator could say.. "thanks for the post, we'll get back to you" but this seems like a simple question.. i don't know either, cause i'm a newbie with this stuff..

as far as i can see, if you have version 3.10 then i'd stick with that for now until you get used to cubecart..

they say it's not necesarry... so i'd stick with your current one, unless you're configuring ssl for your site..

this is a new release, just a few days ago i think.. so i guess no one's really had a go at it yet...

is there an autoinstall for upgrading????????????

Please help! I need to get going with this.

If you have a bricks and mortar store, you can either learn to replace a burnt-out fuse yourself, or pay a licensed electrician $100 just to show up, plus his hourly fees and inflated parts costs to do it for you. If you have an online store, you should learn to do stuff or be ready to pay someone to do it for you. There's no middle ground.

There is no auto-install for upgrading. But if you want to get started, here's how:

Don't be intimidated by something you have never seen before. Go get yourself an FTP program. Your hosting company will supply you with the access codes to the server.

Then follow the very same instructions you quoted. You do not need to know what they mean. They are so step-by-step simple that it does not matter what they mean. Just follow the steps and the upgrade will be done.

QUOTE:

Auto Method

includes/global.inc.php

install/

END QUOTE

after you do that, go to step ".b"

Per se, those instructions have *nothing* to do with CC or PHP or MySQL or any computer codes. They are telling you which files to replace and which files not to replace.

The major assumptions made are:

1) that you know how to open the server where your web site is hosted

2) that you know how to download or upload using an FTP program

That's it. No more no less.

Go get an FTP program and learn to use it. Everything you need to know can be learned in about 15 minutes. For example, see the tutorials for the tool I use:

http://www.ipswitch.com/Support/WS_FTP/tut...tours/index.htm

A 10-year-old could follow them and learn everything needed. (TIP: use the F11 key to maximize your screen so you can see the control bar at the bottom of the tutorial).

After you learn that -

Then upload per the step by step instructions for upgrading. As you can see from reading the messages here in the forum, there are animated tutorials. There are detailed instructions in the "pinned topics" covering just about any commonly encountered issue. And when something goes wrong there are people here to help you with free advice on how to fix it.

I don't think I've ever seen a "we'll get back to you" here. But keep in mind this is all peer-to-peer volunteer help. Yes, the lead programmer of CC lurks and even deaf-signs something once in while, like "want banana" or "hug love" but given a change of nappie and bowl of warm beer, he usually goes away quietly, humming something to himself. The rest of the time it's just us chickens pecking away in the barnyard. Patience and quiet persistence go a long way.

I've been pecking away in various software barnyards for a few years now. Sometimes I've seen things best not discussed with children in the room. Other times I've stepped in stuff that I didn't need to see just to know what it was.

But as barnyards go, this one has some of the fattest, juiciest worms I've ever pulled up for breakfast.

Guest vrakas

Wow... what a great forum... no replies so far.. I've heard that cubecart's forum was supposed to be outstanding, but you've been waiting since yesterday, and no response.

At least some administrator could say.. "thanks for the post, we'll get back to you" but this seems like a simple question.. i don't know either, cause i'm a newbie with this stuff..

Welcome and Sorry to have had you waiting for a whole day but we didnt know you also needed this answer and thanks for your very first post.

Why would anyone want to say "i will get back to you etc" and not leave it open until someone that knows the exact answer on how to do this replys? :)

Its better to give a correct (as close as possible) answer or no answer at all, otherwise its just flooding the forum with useless comments :(

@jerseyjoe

I like the story and the reply :)

Guest BuymyJewelry

I would like to know if anyone here made a tutorial on how to upgrade ones cart? i would like to see a visual if possible.

thanks.

Guest BuymyJewelry

Ok jerseyjoe I will try it!! Thank you for telling me how to do it. Whew. hehehe. I will try and make print screens, and maybe that can help some one else.

Guest BuymyJewelry

got this error...

Warning: main(includes/global.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/public_html/3.11/upgrade/scripts/3.0.{6-10}-3.0.11/upgrade.php on line 2

Warning: main(): Failed opening 'includes/global.inc.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/public_html/3.11/upgrade/scripts/3.0.{6-10}-3.0.11/upgrade.php on line 2

got this error...

Warning: main(includes/global.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/public_html/3.11/upgrade/scripts/3.0.{6-10}-3.0.11/upgrade.php on line 2

Warning: main(): Failed opening 'includes/global.inc.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/public_html/3.11/upgrade/scripts/3.0.{6-10}-3.0.11/upgrade.php on line 2

Frankly, I'm confused. It appears to me as if you are upgrading to a folder called 3.11 - which to my knowledge does not yet exist.

Further,l without going through the process myself, I don't know why there are references to 3.6.

So let's go back to basics.

Am I right in assuming you have a CC 3.010 store installed in a folder called public_html?

Guest BuymyJewelry

I thought that what I was doing. I will try again tomorrow. It is late here and I have a headache from this stuff. LOL

Do i have to put the the upgraded folder into the root or does it lay outside of the root, The root is where my cubecart installation is.

Do i have to put the the upgraded folder into the root or does it lay outside of the root, The root is where my cubecart installation is.
I'm basically a freelance writer so I easily become stuck on words. In this case, I'm really stuck on those you are using.

You say, "put the upgraded folder." To my knowledge, there is no upgraded folder. There's a folder that contains the upgrade files. Why would you upload the folder itself? Think about it. Logic says you need the contents of the folder, not the folder itself.

Or am word-obsessed again?

The root is public_html. Why would you want to upload something to a location outside the root? Root is root, right?

Hi,

It sounds like you are uploading the folder structure:

upgrade/scripts/3.0.{6-10}-3.0.11/upgrade.php

You only need to upload the upgrade.php file to "yourdomain.com" root directory

Then point your browser to: yourdomain.com/upgrade.php

This will run the upgrade script on your CubeCart installation.

That should work for you!

Guest BuymyJewelry

You only need to upload the upgrade.php file to "yourdomain.com" root directory

Then point your browser to: yourdomain.com/upgrade.php

This will run the upgrade script on your CubeCart installation.

That should work for you!

OHHHHHHHHH This should be mentioned in the DOCS! how would we (newbies) know this??

Actually it is but I just worded it differently. Here is steps b and e:

b. Upload upgrade/scripts/3.0.{6-10}-3.0.11/upgrade.php to the store root.

e. Run the script in your browser.

I have found that when following direction for web related programs, there are some many ways that a person can misinterpret or not get. So that is why I love the ability to ask other people, because more heads ar better than one ;-)

Have fun!

Guest BuymyJewelry

Ok i uploaded the upgrade folder to my root and I got this...

Warning: main(includes/global.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/public_html/upgrade/scripts/3.0.{6-10}-3.0.11/upgrade.php on line 2

Warning: main(): Failed opening 'includes/global.inc.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/public_html/upgrade/scripts/3.0.{6-10}-3.0.11/upgrade.php on line 2

Guest Karen Mac

Ok i uploaded the upgrade folder to my root and I got this...

Warning: main(includes/global.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/public_html/upgrade/scripts/3.0.{6-10}-3.0.11/upgrade.php on line 2

Warning: main(): Failed opening 'includes/global.inc.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/public_html/upgrade/scripts/3.0.{6-10}-3.0.11/upgrade.php on line 2

The problem is you uploaded the folder, you need only whats INSIDE the folder, or you have to type in the /UPGRADE/upgrade.php

the folder was just somewhere HANDY to keep it on your harddrive to find what you needed.

Karen