Product Options for single vs. bulk purchase; how?

jerseyjoe

I'm setting up my 5th registered, licensed CC (hooray! drinks all around - be sure to give 'em the bill, too.). My question has been raised before, in a virtually identical structure but I have not yet seen an answer.

It's a cigar store. He sells dozens different types and price points of high-quality, handrolled cigars, either one at a time individual cigars or by the boxed. For example:

1 cigar @ $5.00

25 cigars in box $100.00

In other words, a discount of $25 for buying a box of $25 that would otherwise cost $125.

One way of having CC handle this is to set the price for the product at $0.00.

Then, in Product Options, create an option - let's call it "Price" - with two choices, one for each of the above options.

But this means that the price showing in the Product precis would be $0.00 - clearly a problem. And "Quantity: " next to the "buy" button, in either case, would remain at "1" which will confuse the customer.

Likewise, when the full product description is displayed, the price would show in one place as $0.00" and in the options as either $5.00 or $100, depending on the order in which the options are set up. Again, confusing to customer.

How to handle this without all the confusion?

One way would be to treat them as separate products - the single ciagr is one SKU at one price; the box another. But that should not be necessary - and it is not good merchandizing - and it would double thte work of installing products now and forever. So that's not a desireable solution.

Ideas, please?

BTW - When I have time I will be going over to .org looking for a mod that will impose a minimum of $50 per order, a mix of any variety of single cigars because he doesn't want to sell small value orders online. So anyone with input on that, please pick up on it there later this morning.

hi estelle (expanding brain) has a mod that allows different prices for different amounts purchased.

Also i would like a min order amount that can be configured through admin panel

Guest karl800

I'm looking for the same sort of thing too..

As i'm trying to setup products of like meat.

Steak 4.84 per kg /2.19 per lb

As above i would like not too have to have the main cost as 0.00 and setup options. be nice too setup a option as a default option cost and that displays in the cost of the product..

Please can anyone help.

You set up this cigar product, with a price of $5.00

At the end of the description, use a sentence like, "Purchase as singles for $5.00 each, or by boxes of 25 for $100/box."

In options, set an option of: Singles, with price N/A and another option of 25 ct. Box with price + $95

You set up this cigar product, with a price of $5.00

At the end of the description, use a sentence like, "Purchase as singles for $5.00 each, or by boxes of 25 for $100/box."

In options, set an option of: Singles, with price N/A and another option of 25 ct. Box with price + $95

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that solution - but while I know it works, I want somethng that does not require the buyer to take the mental step of understanding the "+" sign. Net cost becomes even less clear when the buyer must make that addditional mental calculation and say to himself, "Oh, so "+95" means if I click here I will be paying $5 for the first cigar and $95 for the other 24, meaning a net cost of $100."

It is hardly an intuitive calculation. Also, it runs counter to the transaction universally offered to buyers that follows the simple, unequivocal and unconditional statement, "A bundle costs $100.00."

PT Barnum once said, "No one ever went broke by underestimating the intelligence of the average customer." Online we are dealing with people who do not even know how how to get rid of all the default crap in their browser. It's just too much to expect them to do math.

So I want a mod that will state simply that:

1 cigar costs 5.00

1 bundle of 25 costs $100

Can do?