Letting off steam: Rules re posting URLs

Guest Captain Bags

Guest Captain Bags

While I love CC and find this forum to be a superb resource, there is one aspect that truly bugs me.

I Admin a forum too, totally unrelated to eCommerce or software of any kind. We stamp down hard on spam links, just as you do. AND I am not telling you guys how to run your forums.

But one can be too paranoid. What I found worked very well was to permit Mods and posters of long standing to post links that were genuinely helpful to my members. URLs posted by newbies are scrutinised with an electron microscope for spam or affiliate links. 99% of these are spam and I just delete them.

But long serving and trusted Mods and repected posters do not seem to abuse the rules in my experience. If they did stray they would get a severe reminder by PM. Inevitably that requires only one dose of medicine - problem solved.

Here's an example

I cant provide an url because the forum rules prevent it. Just have a look through the Free Mods section.
This is a Mod for goodness sake, pointing out a mod that must have been scrutinised and passed (not approved) by Admins. That cryptic clue could have cost me five minutes of searching in order to find the reference.

Like I said in the thread title, I am just letting off steam here so you can ignore my comments.

BTW, I bought my cart license today. The link back from PayPal to the confirmed page crashed. The confirmation emails arrived OK.

Jeez, I am in a bitchy mood this evening. :rolleyes:

Still love my CC though :D

Guest EverythingWeb

All I can really say on this topic is that we updated the forum rules a few months ago to reflect the changes that we had gone through, and admittingly they were probably not going to be the perfect rules for ever-more.

This is quite a rapidly growing community and we, as the Moderator/Admin team, will do everything we can to allievate any problems arising from policies & protocols which are set. Comments are welcomed.

However, what I can say, is that the issue with Modifications is that they cannot be endorsed by Devellion Ltd/CubeCart and as such, cubecart.org was setup to facilitiate the discussion required about MODS. Some moderators here, including myself, have one if not a few commercial mods available at cubecart.org (as we obviously have spent a lot of time with CubeCart) and so, and it is a currently active discussion between the moderators, I believe that if, at this time, no (direct) links are posted, we will not have any possible problems with potential conflicts of interest.

If there is anything above which you are unclear about, please feel free to PM.

Apologies if there was an error with the order processing for your license key - I will make sure it is looked into. :rolleyes:

And dont worry about being in a seemingly bitchy mood - I've just finished after nearly 16 hours of a cr@p day. We all have them. :D

Deciding what is a helpful link and what is not is purely a subjective decision. We have enough to do without discussing the merits of one link after another and that's why the decision was made.

I admin a forum as well along with SMod-ing several others and I can attest that rules are made on a forum-by-forum basis.

Your points are well-taken and perhaps one day our rules will change to reflect the changes in the board and there have been many changes over the years.

Lie back, relax and enjoy your cart.

The very basic rule of thumb is that external links to mods for CubeCart don't belong here, they belong at CubeCart.org. However, external links to other useful things for CC users are welcomed and encouraged...providing they aren't obvious affilliate/spam/etc.

This stance was taken because it would be far too easy for me to point people to my site for a mod that I charge for. We instead decided to send everybody to CubeCart.org and let them choose from among what's there.

*/*

Guest Captain Bags

Thanks guys: EverythingWeb (especially for understanding the effects of a tough, tough day!), roban, Sir William.

Yep - all of the above makes perfect sense in view of potential conflict of interest. Plus, it's presumably a voluntary role that Mods carry out, so a blanket rule is the only way in these circumstances.

As roban said, each forum has its own requirements and I understand that.

Perhaps the ideal would be to have a simple categorised directory of (unapproved) free mods and approved pay-for mods, that Mods could point to without fear of accusation. I have seen Evil Homer's list of approved mods & his site, which is a really good idea.

Might be easy to accomplish, thinking about it.

In any case, I am feeling mellower this evening - it's Friday after all - and I appreciate your responses.

Thanks

{laying back enjoying my cart} C. B.

Perhaps the ideal would be to have a simple categorised directory of (unapproved) free mods and approved pay-for mods, that Mods could point to without fear of accusation. I have seen Evil Homer's list of approved mods & his site, which is a really good idea.
We have CubeCart.org :(

Guest Captain Bags

We have CubeCart.org */*
Now you're making me feel stoopid again, Robsta :rolly:

Yes, you are right of course. Once you poke around there you see that the downloads are categorized neatly and it's simple to read up on the ones that might pertain to your problem or requirement.

May I make a constructive suggestion?

Possibly you guys are so used to navigating around the two forums that it must appear to you that newbies like me are (a.) lazy or (b.) dumb [you're in good company; so does Mrs Bags], when we make comments like my opening post or ask questions like 'where can I find . . . ?'

There is a wealth of information on here. Despite many, many posts by senior contributors, it can still take a newbie quite a while to find these resources. If you happen upon the right 'signpost' post, then bingo - Open Sesame

I think these two URLs could happily be posted up in response to such queries by anybody. Strike me down with a CC Thunderbolt Special if I am breaking the URL post rules here :w00t:

Start here: CubeCart 3.x free mods, downloads and tutorials

More here: CubeCart.org forum

Rather than saying "Search the cubecart.org forum", send 'em off to the treasure trove directly. Eventually, they will make the blinding connection betwee these two URLs!

I offer this from my experiences here. It can be very frustrating for a newbie, despite searching responsibly first.

BTW - is it OK to post those URLs in repsonse to a query?

Guest EverythingWeb

Captain Bags,

I see no problem with those links, as your are not directly linking to an individual MOD, which is what was happening.

Once change I would make would be to drop the word 'free' in your first link. Other than that, I dont see a problem and will run this by the moderating team. :rolly:

We have CubeCart.org :)

Possibly you guys are so used to navigating around the two forums that it must appear to you that newbies like me are (a.) lazy or (b.) dumb [you're in good company; so does Mrs Bags], when we make comments like my opening post or ask questions like 'where can I find . . . ?'

There is a wealth of information on here. Despite many, many posts by senior contributors, it can still take a newbie quite a while to find these resources. If you happen upon the right 'signpost' post, then bingo - Open Sesame

I think these two URLs could happily be posted up in response to such queries by anybody. Strike me down with a CC Thunderbolt Special if I am breaking the URL post rules here :rolly:

Start here: CubeCart 3.x free mods, downloads and tutorials

More here: CubeCart.org forum

Rather than saying "Search the cubecart.org forum", send 'em off to the treasure trove directly. Eventually, they will make the blinding connection betwee these two URLs!

I offer this from my experiences here. It can be very frustrating for a newbie, despite searching responsibly first.

If you look on the top level of this forum, there is a big link to 3rd party mods and services :w00t: . And also links to it in most of the regulars' post signatures. */*

Guest Captain Bags

If you look on the top level of this forum, there is a big link to 3rd party mods and services :rolly: . And also links to it in most of the regulars' post signatures. :w00t:
Robsta, I am not arguing with you */*

Sorry, but I simply cannot see any 'big link to 3rd party mods and services'.

I looked at the top level of this forum (General Discussion) and at the index page of CubeCart.com/site/forums. The term 'forum' itself can be misunderstood.

In any case, as a newbie, I am not specifically looking for '3rd party' stuff, downloads or tutotrials, merely hacks and fixes to solve my problem with, say, my shipping module. Yes, one can argue that 'Downloads' obviously contains mods and hacks - all I'm saying is that finding stuff is not intuitive for a newbie.

I accept that after a while on here I did look at some sig lines of other posters. What you are saying is totally logical and I have no argument with it. But a newbie like me would have to learn where to look.

Ideally I would love to see a forum at the top of this CubeCart forum with the forum title in red ' Start here to locate fixes, hacks and mods'

I've been on here for two weeks now, and it was only when you re-pointed me to cubecart.org in your earlier post that I looked hard at the downloads section and saw how well it is categorized.

Anyway, all I wanted to say in this thread is that we can all make it easier for newbies to find their way if we are allowed to post more specific URLs, while not pointing to any one specific mod.