CPU Usage Problem

Guest ace5p1d0r

Guest ace5p1d0r

Hello,

Recently on the page /admin/products/options.php I am having the error:

This Account Has Exceeded Its CPU Quota

Please contact this site's webmaster.

Wait a few minutes and use your browser's "Back" button or click here to try again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are the webmaster, your account may have exceeded for one or more of the following reasons:

Your site has used more than 20% of the cpu.

Your account has too many processes running at the same time.

Your site was consuming too many resources. This happens on occassion to very busy sites that have inefficient scripts running.

I contacted my host (Bluehost.com) and I got the reply:

CPU Quota errors are triggered if you use more than 20% of the cpu on your server. They are set up like this to avoid server lockups, if too many people are logging on to the same server at once. You will need to optimize your code to avoid these errors.

It means your account is taking up too many server resources at once. I'd suggest optimizing your scripts/databases to put a lighter load on the server and cut out the unnecessary processes running if any. The policy is the limit on cpu usage is 20 processes at any given time and the cpu quota on scripts is 30 seconds of cpu time. Also if a script is taking up more than 20% of the server resources at one time it will give you that error. It's also possible that a script on your account is not terminating properly.

To see a list of currently running processes for your account, click on the process manager in your control panel, at the bottom of the error log page. You can find the log files of what was happening /home/username/tmp/cpu_exceeded_logs/ which you can find under the file manager in the control panel.

Can anybody help me with this? I must admit I am at a loss at what to do!

Thank you in advance,

Alec

Go into your host control panel/error logs and view all running processes. (or ask your host how to do this for your site) Shut down all running processes on your site. Check your folders for unknown folders or files particularly the 'includes' folder.

Are you running any 3rd party mods? If so please list them.

Guest ace5p1d0r

Process Manager

Running Processes (Refresh):

No processes belonging to you found!

No processes found!

roban I notice you also use Bluehost. I have the same cPanel as you if that makes any difference.

I had this problem at one time while running a 3rd party script that was costing too much server time. I fixed the problem by getting rid of the script. What are you running other than the basic shop? Anything like Twatch?

You can also ask Bluehost to move you to another server.

Guest ace5p1d0r

Im not using Twatch. I do have various mods installed and have edited alot myself.

So I can simply ask Bluehost to move my site to a new server with more CPU roban?

Thanks for your reply.

Guest ace5p1d0r

I live in the UK, but I know thats not really an excuse.

I dont really mind waiting. I would rather have something that I can read, and also they will (hopefully) actually be doing things (moving my site) and that cannot be done on the phone.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ace5p1d0r

Roban:

I have received an email back from Bluehost. I quote it below.

So you find out can not optimize any part of the size? If you consistantly get the cpu_exceeded its possible you are generating those messages. The box the account is on isn't known to be a server under heavy load. Unfortunately if there is a problem with the sites coding and what not moving it to another server is a temporary solution at best. Yes it will probably not have any issues for a month or so. However after other users get placed on the box the issue will creep up again.

So it seems moving my site to a different server wont fix anything.

Can anybody help me with this? I would be happy to give you access to the site to look for yourself if you would be willing.

Roban:

So you find out can not optimize any part of the size? If you consistantly get the cpu_exceeded its possible you are generating those messages. The box the account is on isn't known to be a server under heavy load. Unfortunately if there is a problem with the sites coding and what not moving it to another server is a temporary solution at best. Yes it will probably not have any issues for a month or so. However after other users get placed on the box the issue will creep up again.

Can anybody help me with this? I would be happy to give you access to the site to look for yourself if you would be willing.

yes let's see what's going on here.

Guest trendyhats

Roban:

yes let's see what's going on here.

Or you can demand that they move you. I had the same issue and they gave me the same exact responses. I basically stripped my site down to nothing and still were getting the CPU problem. They finally moved me and sure enough I havent had one CPU overage in over a year. I just dont think they like moving sites to new servers but it definitely worked. I would first check your site but if no luck then call them up.