Maximum Number Of Products

Robo_1

I'm currently in talks with a client about setting up a store, but the twist is, he wants it to start with about 1000 products, and expand it to 2000 over 12 or so months after launch. He's also told me he's going to advertise the store like crazy (within Belgium so it's still going to be down to earth), so expects a lot of buyers.

So is CC up for the job, and is there any additional advice you guys can offer for running such a large store?

Thus far I've been thrilled with CC, but most shops I've set up have had 1 - 200 products max, and are only really set up for hobbyists, so - for me - this is by far and away the largest e-commerce store I've ever set up, and can well imagine myself religiously backing up the database every 30 mins :D

If it makes any difference, I've told him about the forthcoming 3.1 release, and that it will save him a lot of mod costs (as we're based in Belgium we really need the flexible tax solution) so I've convinced him to wait for that, which I believe should be with us before the end of the year :) ........hopefully :D

The site will also be hosted (at Dreamhost) on a shared server, as he :D when I told him the costs of dedicated hosting.

As ever, any answers or advice will be gratefully received. Cheers.

As far as I am aware CubeCart will cope with 2,000+ products - a lot is also about the server you host it on.

Mods generally cost very little - why not install 3.0.12 and the mods? No one knows when 3.1 will be released.

There we are... there is your proof!

If you have thousands of products and lots of visitors it makes sense that you will need a better/faster server that can cope.

There is no reason why the script couldn't handle it.

CubeCart will handle pretty much an unlimited number of products. However there will be a wall at around 32,000 based on the server filesystem. Most all operating systems start to really freak out when you go much past 32,000 files in a single folder. The database is no biggie, but the images/thumbs will be. The fix for it is really not too horribly complicated but it does require several changes to the code. In a nutshell, you divide the images up into 62 folders based on their first character. Then you have a thumbs folder below each of those. This will give you a theoretical max of around 1.9 million products. And trust me, if you can top that, you'll be able to afford a bevy of programmers to solve the problem.

:)

Guest Brivtech

Something to bear in mind is the product admin. With that many products, tabbing through will take ages, so, you can improve this in 2 ways:

- The current page layout is in chronological order - most recent last. You can adapt the code very simply to swap this around.

- Increase the number of products per page.

Fortunately, the search within products is very good, and you can easily find what youre looking for if you know exactly what it is.

Price changes across categories, etc. are still a little messy. As are they on many other systems as well.

Conclusion - Yep, definetly up to the job.