A Semantic, clean template

Guest bradyjfrey

Guest bradyjfrey

One of the failures I thought when I first used cubecart, is it's lack of semantic structure. For the most part, it's a huge leap to see a shopping cart code move from a tablebased design and invalid html, to a tableless design based on XHTML (though I think serving XHTML as HTML in the meta information is not for me, and I'd recommend avoiding it and using straight HTML if that's your intention). While many people have applauded it's code, and me included - replacing tables with a redundant amount of divs, and an excessive amount of classes and id's defeats the purpose of using semantic code, and well, clean CSS. The idea is not to substitute tables for divs and classes - but to make rich content for handicap users, as well as search engines - and therefore make your styling leaner as well.

So, for sites like http://www.pinkpinstripes.com and an upcoming new and improved http://kamalaspa.com and http://www.delightfulhealth.com, I took the time to update all the code to a nice semantic structure, and making my life easier to CSS. That code is free for you all to use, you may download it at:

Url removed in accordance with the forum rules. Links to third party mods are not allowed

These are only the .tpl files and empty style sheet and button folder (with the exception of the pop up image html, not interested in using it) - the intention is for those of you who want to have more control to have a base xhtml foundation to design on, without being flustered by lots of unneeded tags and redundant divs.

Let me know if you have any questions, or notice any bugs - I'll launch it on my site as well later this week for download if need be http://dotfive.com, thank you!

Edited by bradyjfrey

Guest bradyjfrey

I did not know they weren't allowed here, I'll just add it to my site - thanks vrakas

Thanks for the submission, very nice :(

I would suggest you add this in the .org forum where all 3rd party mods and skins are found. ;)

Guest bradyjfrey

I would like to have a look in it.

Is it still available somewhere...I couldn't find it on your site :D

Cheers

It has been added, with a new article describing semantic code, and the reasons for div avoidance - the direct link is:

<URL REMOVED>

you should see it on the front page, regardless - thanks:)

Guest Brivtech

I'm sorry, but I had to remove the link URL.

Forum rules are that links may only be to www.cubecart.org (Home page and not individual MODs), and also to individual's cubecart shops where they are not used for Cubecart services/MODs or related services such as web hosting.

You lot are more than welcome to submit these MODs at cubecart.org, and if anyone requests them here, you can say something like "do a search for "symantec skin" at cubecart.org." ;)

Bradyjfrey, this is polite notice rather than an official warning, so you better understand the posting rules.

Guest Captain Bags

Wonderful stuff, Brad. Your site is bookmarked!

In my next spare hour (October 2008 by the looks of it) I must read some more. Especially like the way you explain the approach and thinking behind the sites you designed. There's a lot to be learned there.

I admire your 'giving back' philosophy too.

Guest bradyjfrey

I'm sorry, but I had to remove the link URL.

Forum rules are that links may only be to www.cubecart.org (Home page and not individual MODs), and also to individual's cubecart shops where they are not used for Cubecart services/MODs or related services such as web hosting.

You lot are more than welcome to submit these MODs at cubecart.org, and if anyone requests them here, you can say something like "do a search for "symantec skin" at cubecart.org." ;)

Bradyjfrey, this is polite notice rather than an official warning, so you better understand the posting rules.

That's understandable - this is your forum, and your rules - and since you're not an open source development, can understand your need to lock down.

I would argue common sense here - the intent of the rule is not to be aligned with 3rd party selling or to mix philosphy with other companies, correct? That's a black eye for any business, to be sure. However, me linking to a self written article hoping to further market your services, and improve the development of potential clients or potential developers is probably doing a benefit for your business - censoring is not, and a policy I guess I'll have to assume is a shared opinion with the business behind Cube Cart.

So, I politely disagree with your opinion, and I find it a difficult moderation to swallow that the rules are so black and white. I'll try to avoid supporting CubeCart in any further marketing or developer release for free from now on, save the general notation of the company and recommendations of the service, and would appreciate the code on my site to be used only by 3rd party developers, and not by the official Cube Cart company in the future... since that is my site, and my development rules, I'll note it on the article. Thank you!

Guest bradyjfrey

Wonderful stuff, Brad. Your site is bookmarked!

In my next spare hour (October 2008 by the looks of it) I must read some more. Especially like the way you explain the approach and thinking behind the sites you designed. There's a lot to be learned there.

I admire your 'giving back' philosophy too.

Thanks for the kind notations:)

Guest Brivtech

the intent of the rule is not to be aligned with 3rd party selling or to mix philosphy with other companies, correct?

Unfortunately, it includes all contributions that are not written by Devellion Ltd. The company obviously intends to keep this support forum specifically for core CubeCart software, and that's why there is cubecart.org to welcome, discuss and develop third party modifications, whether they are free or commercial.

So, I politely disagree with your opinion

Unfortunately, my opinion is not necessarily that of the forum either, but rules is rules. Sorry you feel that way. This forum (cubecart.com) is intended for support, and the cubecart.org forum is intended for development and promotion of contributions (Free or paid). As a moderator, my job is to simply explain the rules and maintain their integrity, not necessarily debate their validity.

Guest bradyjfrey

Understood, and again, I'm accustomed to forum policies, so I can see your (or CubeCart's) perspective, but in this case I feel the rule is overly simplisitic and severed for my taste. Just a personal opinion, especially from a customer, and potential future customer.