Google Base Upgrade Please

Guest nakedbear

Guest nakedbear

Could we please fix the googlebase feed to work correctly with Googlebase? What good is a store if you can't promote it properly. I think this should be a top priority fix as the program has a button for Google base that doesn't work correctly. I did the mod that allows me to generate a feed, but the column titles are wrong, we need a product code column labeled id. It would be nice if we could somehow add an expiration date and labels as Google requres, but I realize that CC doesn't automatically have that information so that would be more difficult. Can we please have correct column titles and add the product code labeled id?

Required attributes for Googlebase Products

You are required to include these attributes for each item in your bulk upload file.

description

expiration_date

id (just use the product code)

image_link

label (anyway to pull this from search engine mod labels?)

price

title

Optional but needed

link

Thanks for listening, I am so frustrated because I know that some of this should be an easy mod for someone out there. A store without marketing is useless.

Guest chantesse

You don't mention which version of cc 3.x.x you are on. 3.0.9 which I am on gave me 2 non-fatal errors using Froogle feed. I aired this on the Forum & apparently, latest cc version fixed these 2. Perhaps you could specify the exact cc version & paste the exact Google Base error log?

Guest nakedbear

I am using the latest version 3.12 with security upgrade. I can create a feed file but it is in the wrong layout, with the wrong column titles, and does not have enough of the attributes required by Google base.

Guest nakedbear

have you done a search? Please search before posting as it would save you and us time. There has been a small code fix posted for the past week.

Yes I have done many searches, and the code fix just allows you to create a feed and not a google base compliant one. I am sorry if I wasted your time. Rather than chastising someone for asking a question why don't you point them to the result. It would take about the same amount of your precious time, and is a lot more helpful and polite than berating someone for asking a question!

Guest nakedbear

This 'fix' is compliant with Google Base. I use it.

Well I must not have been able to find the mod you are referring to. Could you please point me in the right direction? I have used this one http://www.cubecart.com/site/forums/index....google&st=0, but as I stated in the original post it does not create proper headings. For instance it creates product_url and not link as the compliant heading. If you use this you will get an email from Google stating that you are using old Froogle headings. Therefore, it is not compliant with Google base. If you visit http://www.google.com/base/products.html you will see what the correct headings should be. I have searched all over this site and cubecart.org for a correct mod so please don't tell me to search. Please tell me where it is! If you would do a search you would find out that I am not the only one experiencing this problem with Google Base, and just as no one is addressing my inquiry, there are others waiting for a correct mod.

I had applied this code change and submitted to Google Base. My feed was accepted without errors and no email from Google. Are you running any 3rd party mods? I did have this problem with a client's site who was running some discount mods. What we did to 'fix' this was to turn off the mods until the feed was accepted.

Guest nakedbear

I had applied this code change and submitted to Google Base. My feed was accepted without errors and no email from Google. Are you running any 3rd party mods? I did have this problem with a client's site who was running some discount mods. What we did to 'fix' this was to turn off the mods until the feed was accepted.

I am not running any 3rd party mods. all you have to do is open the feed created by cubecart and see that the attributes are not correct. I have to manually go in and fix them. Are you uploading by ftp or google upload submission and when was the last time you uploaded? I and others are not making this up. Google will accept the old feed but has sent the email that I am using old attributes and this has been reported on this board by others. All I ask is that the next person to mod it please follow google's directions at http://www.google.com/base/products.html.

Guest nakedbear

I submit through GoogleBase Client Center. The last time I uploaded was 3 days ago.

Roban

I have never been there and just use the standard specify a bulk upload. What are your headers? Are they

product_url name description image_url price ? If so, they are old Froogle headers and you will get a note from Google if submited the standard way that you need to upgrade the attributes. Not to mention that you need an id and label that cubecart feed does not provide. I don't know why I need to keep restating the obvious to you. Is there someone reading this that designs cubecart? The Google Base feed is not using the correct attributes as stated by Google Base. Period. You don't get email error messages, fine. I do, as do others. I do not believe that you have visited the link

http://www.google.com/base/products.html, because if you did you would realize that the Cube Cart feed to Google Base needs to be updated. I am beginning to think that you do not care, and that is fine. I hope someone that reads this does.

My google feeds work fine. I updated my 3.0.10 cubecart installation to modify the headers that google base now uses instead of froogle with no problem. The file to modify is in /admin/products/index.php and my modified code is below. You can actually add any field data you want - just review google's accepted tags and follow below to modify. I never changed "frooglecontent" to "googlebase" since this is just an internal tag anyway. Mainly I eliminated the category field since they no longer used it and chaned a few of the header names. Just make sure the content tags line up with the header tags (test it by saving and opening the file in Excel and make sure your headings match the data before you submit it).

if(isset($_GET['action']) && $_GET['action']=="froogle"){

$db = new db();

$query = "SELECT * FROM ".$glob['dbprefix']."CubeCart_inventory INNER JOIN ".$glob['dbprefix']."CubeCart_category on ".$glob['dbprefix']."CubeCart_inventory.cat_id = ".$glob['dbprefix']."CubeCart_category.cat_id ".$whereClause." ORDER BY name DESC";

$results = $db->select($query);

if($results==TRUE) {

$froogleContent = "link	title	description	price	image_link	category	id	product_type	weight	payment_accepted	condition	manufacturer_id\r\n";

for($i=0; $i<count($results); $i++){

$salePrice = salePrice($results[$i]['price'], $results[$i]['sale_price']);

if($salePrice > 0){

$price = $salePrice;

} else {

$price = $results[$i]['price'];

}

$froogleContent .= $glob['storeURL']."/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=".$results[$i]['productId']."	".$results[$i]['name']."	".strip_tags(str_replace(array("	","\r","\n")," ",$results[$i]['description']))."	".$price;

if($results[$i]['image']){

$froogleContent .= "	".$glob['storeURL']."/images/uploads/".$results[$i]['image'];

} else {

$froogleContent .= "	";

}

$froogleContent .= "	".$results[$i]['cat_name'];

$froogleContent .= "	".$results[$i]['productCode'];

$froogleContent .= "	".$results[$i]['cat_name'];

$froogleContent .= "	".$results[$i]['prodWeight'];

$froogleContent .= "	".'Visa,Mastercard,Discover,AmericanExpress,Paypal,MoneyOrder';

$froogleContent .= "	".'new';

$froogleContent .= "	".$results[$i]['productCode'];

$froogleContent .= "\r\n";

}

$filename="FroogleFeed_".date("dMy").".txt";

header('Pragma: private');

header('Cache-control: private, must-revalidate');

header("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=".$filename);

header("Content-type: text/plain");

header("Content-type: application/octet-stream");

header("Content-length: ".strlen($froogleContent));

header("Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary");

echo $froogleContent;

exit;

}

Guest nakedbear

Thanks Mysty! Finally someone who acknowledges that modifcations need to be made! I will try to fix it tonight. Thanks again!

Wow! It works! I was even able to add the expiration date and pull from the seo mod to add the labels that Googlebase now requires. I can't thank you enough for posting this information. I have been spending so much time fixing things manually and I think you are the first to actually come up with a workable solution. Thanks again!

Guest nakedbear

I am Using Cubecart 3.0.12 with the SEO Mod

Here are the changes I made in /admin/products/index.php :

CHANGED THIS:

$googleBaseContent = "product_url\tname\tdescription\timage_url\tprice\r\n";

TO THIS:

$googleBaseContent = "link\ttitle\tdescription\timage_link\tid\texpiration_date\tlabel\tprice\r\n";

CHANGED THIS:

// SEO friendly mod

$googleBaseContent .= "\t".$glob['storeURL']."/images/uploads/".$results[$i]['image'];

} else {

$googleBaseContent .= "\t".$glob['storeURL']."/skins/".$config['skinDir']."/styleImages/nophoto.gif";

}

$googleBaseContent .= "\t".$price."\r\n";

}

TO THIS:

// SEO friendly mod

$googleBaseContent .= "\t".$glob['storeURL']."/images/uploads/".$results[$i]['image'];

} else {

$googleBaseContent .= "\t".$glob['storeURL']."/skins/".$config['skinDir']."/styleImages/nophoto.gif";

}

$googleBaseContent .= "\t".$results[$i]['productCode'];

$googleBaseContent .= "\t".'2007-12-31';

$googleBaseContent .= "\t".$results[$i]['prod_metakeywords'];

$googleBaseContent .= "\t".$price."\r\n";

}

Note: If you have not done the SEO friendly Mod I do not think you can add:

$googleBaseContent .= "\t".$results[$i]['prod_metakeywords'];

and the header file would look like this:

$googleBaseContent = "link\ttitle\tdescription\timage_link\tid\texpiration_date\tprice\r\n";

I am so happy now I could wet Myself!

No problem. I get a LOT of my sales from froogle, so getting the feed working for myself was a major thing for me. Since I haven't upgraded from 3.0.10 yet though, didn't realize .11 and .12 wasn't working right. Glad I could help.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm glad I found this thread.

I'm running 3.0.10 with some mods not including the SEOmod.

Are there any updates, suggestions before I start digging into code that is over my head?

Explicit instructions on fine tuning and submitting to google should not be overlooked.

For example, how should one deal with expiration dates on static products? Lie?

thanks