Photo Size?

rowdyplace

I take my own photos of my categories and products. I them crop and touch them up. I can make them almost any size I want. What is optimum? I just tried 800 x 600 (pixels) and that was too large. The category and product pages went crazy. Trying 240 x 180 and the pages show them off center to the left - with a lot of white space.

What is the best size to use?

Guest Brivtech

We recommend 300 X 300, the thumbnails show up well being square, and the main image is large enough to see the detail of the product. As your using vga ratio photos , perhaps try 400 X 300.

I would say that it also depends on the quality of your artwork, and whether the image is detrimental to achieving a sale. Also consider if your image would be copied by other people. Also, experiment and see what best fits your layout.

Finally, consider that people use different resolution monitors. The image should fit a range of resolutions.

My wholesaler supplies me with pics that are 420 x 420....found that a little too big for 1024 x 768 res. I resized them all to 350 x 350 and they look good. My category pics have all been sized to 100 x 100 for uniformity of appearance (although I'm thinking of going a bit larger and putting 2 cats per line)......

You can look at my "test store" www.store.jowestcorp.com . I use this store to build and test my database before going on line.

Klaus Cook

Houston, Texas