Is GD optional?

rowdyplace

This list of requirements is listed on the front page of cubecart.com:

Requirements:

PHP 4.1.1 + (Scripting Language)

MySQL 3.23 + (Database Server)

GD 1.6 + (Image Library) Optional in v3 <<-- How so?

Linux / Unix recommended

I have two hosting companies, one with GD (2) enabled, and one without GD.

The "with" server has no problems with uploading images, and creating thumbnails. In fact, everything seems to work fine with the CC3 installation.

The "without" server generates the following error when attempting to upload images for Categories or Products.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: imagecreatefromjpeg() in /home2/veetsbar/public_html/gd-test/classes/gd.inc.php on line 49

Interesting, even though I get the error, the image still does upload. So, trying to "use existing image" to get around this, and continue adding the new product, I get this error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: imagecreatefromjpeg() in /home2/veetsbar/public_html/gd-test/classes/gd.inc.php on line 49

Having set the "without" server installation of CC3 to GD=N/A (since there is no GD), does allow for the uploading of a product image, but no thumbnail is created. This, I consider to be unsat.

So, is GD optional? If so, how does one work without it? I think thumbnails are necessary.

http://www.veetsbar.com/gd-test/ is "without" server

http://www.bamabar.com/gd-test/ is "with" server.

Guest EverythingWeb

If you dont have GD enabled you can upload but you would have to manually create your thumbnails. Some people prefer to do this.

Obviously the *preferred* method (and by far the quickest/easiest) is to have a decent hosting environment with GD Available.