Site documents lost

Okay so I just upgraded my first store from 3.0.8 to 3.0.14 and the only problem I had (other than redoing some minor modifcations) was that all my site documents were lost - became "this can be set in the admin panel" or whatever is says when you do a fresh install.

What I did:

1. ran each upgrade script in turn (I did get an error running the one from 3.12 to 3.13 about spambot existing or something, but I just skipped it and ran the 3.13 to 3.14 and it seems fine)

2. uploaded all files except /language/home.inc.php /global.inc.php and /install from 3.13 then the individual files changed for 3.14.

Should there be an extra step to preserve the site docs? I thought they were saved in the database and since all my products, etc are fine, was very surprised the site docs disappeared.

Also, did anything other than the files included with 3.14 change in the skins folders? I'm using a custom skin so it preserved the look of the site, but wonder if I need to replace some of the other files as well?