Link to us? Meta Tags?

Hi All

Can someone pls explain to me how meta tags work and where do i add them?

I am trying to list my site on free website submissions and some of them require that you link back to them... except where and how to i link them? I am using the Classic skin - though i don't think this is any use to anyone... ;)

Should i create a new box on my site saying : favourite links? or can i use my sitedocs 'useful information where i have my adsense?

Someone pls shed some light into this.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Antz ;)

meta tags are search terms some search engines use to help classify your site. You add them in admin > general settings

As to linking back to search engines, I create a Links site document and add such things there. Just be sure to click on "source" and then paste the code the site gives you into it. Knowing a bit about html will help you a lot.

Thanks ladies for your reply.

So meta tags are like strings of words ? for example i sell children's clothing, so the meta tag would be,

chidren's clothing, v-baby designer, designer clothing etc?

these meta tags are not for the person who is googling around for children's clothes right?

Also, Ansuk do you know what the mod is called? me go look for it! - will it do this easier for me in what sense? i thought i have to do all of this manually. I'm trying to advertise my site by going through 'free submission listings' and from what i've been told i have to do one by one! i'm up to no.2! lol ;)

Thanks

Antz

So meta tags are like strings of words ? for example i sell children's clothing, so the meta tag would be,

these meta tags are not for the person who is googling around for children's clothes right?

Also, Ansuk do you know what the mod is called? me go look for it! - will it do this easier for me in what sense? i thought i have to do all of this manually. I'm trying to advertise my site by going through 'free submission listings' and from what i've been told i have to do one by one! i'm up to no.2! lol ;)

Thanks

Antz

Antz,

Getting the description correct is of more use than worrying about keywords. In the 90's, meta keywords used to be important, but for many years the content of the page is what major search engines look at.

If you sell on Brand (Nike etc) make sure this is mentioned on the page description for that product, and the product title (if possible) and the product description.

Don't spend too long worrying about Search Engine submission, add to Google and MSN, and the others will follow.

A good strategy for you would be to find a complementary partner - another store that sells, say, "Childrens Toys" (not a competitor), and doing a link exchange with each other.

Google can take a month or more to index a site, (it will check regularly to ensure the site is stable before running a full crawl), and so you could try reading up on "Google Base", and then regularly submit a product feed.

Jason

So you suggest that everything on my homepage (contents) is described such as the designer clothing etc.,,,, but are you sure i shouldn't also submit my site elsewhere? Oh and by the way I've met up with Ozgirl here in the forums and she also deals with kids toys/dvd's etc. and we have spoken about linking each other's site except we are both new and don't know how to do that. */* If anyone plsssss has simple instructions on how to do this please let me know.

Thanks

Antz

Thanks

Antz

Antz,

Getting the description correct is of more use than worrying about keywords. In the 90's, meta keywords used to be important, but for many years the content of the page is what major search engines look at.

If you sell on Brand (Nike etc) make sure this is mentioned on the page description for that product, and the product title (if possible) and the product description.

Don't spend too long worrying about Search Engine submission, add to Google and MSN, and the others will follow.

A good strategy for you would be to find a complementary partner - another store that sells, say, "Childrens Toys" (not a competitor), and doing a link exchange with each other.

Google can take a month or more to index a site, (it will check regularly to ensure the site is stable before running a full crawl), and so you could try reading up on "Google Base", and then regularly submit a product feed.

Jason

Also what is a Recipocral Link? plssss! and where do i put this?

;)

A place to put the links are in a site doc for excample.

There you may use the CC text editor to design the text. If you get a ready html code to put in, use the source view to put it in the code.

Recipocral Link means that you link back to each other. Normaly this is controlled by a script when you sign up to a link page. If you link to Ozgirl and she links back to you, then you have it...

What you should pay atension to is also getting your keyword links.

This code

<a href="http://www.cubecart.com">children's clothing</a>

produse a link like this children's clothing

and give your site a vote for the search term children's clothing

You should have some basic keywords you want your site to be found under. and use them in your content, keywords, description, different formatted text, and in the link text back to your site.