Can't get SMTP Mail Setup Working

Guest CheapScotsman

Guest CheapScotsman

I am hosting on my own Windows XP box (running SP2 with all the latest security fixes). I am running the latest version of Xampp (which includes Apache ySQL PHP, along with Mercury Mail Transport (which I have NOT turned on))

I have configured CubeCart V3.0.14 for mail as follows:

Mail Sending Method: SMTP

SMTP Host: XXX.cg.shawcable.net

SMTP Port: 25

Use Authentication: Yes

SMTP User Name: myusername

SMTP Password: XXXXXX

I just can't get it to work. This is exactly the same configuration as I use in Outlook but on another box … Outlook works while I am not getting any mails from cubecart.

I have tried changing Use Authentication from Yes to No, tried changing SMTP User Name from

myusername to

[email protected] to

myusername+shaw.ca to

[email protected] to

myusername+XXX.cg.shawcable.net

and all of the combo's …

My test is to send email is via cubecarts … "Login / Forget your Password so send me a new one" feature …

I get no indication of any error in cubecart, nothing in my sent mail at shaw and nothing at the email target destination. Even if I set the wrong SMTP password, I still don't get an error message.

If I change the SMTP server name, I get an error indicating no connection to the non existant server .... which means that, when set as above, it appears that it is connecting the required SMTP server

I've read the most common problems, read the pinned posts and searched and read most of the posts on SMTP and email ... of course, I could have missing something.

Any suggestions on how to debug this further?

Thanks,

Scott

SMPT seems to be a problem using remote mail servers, I've never had a problem with it using my servers own mail engine. It could be that SHAW are dumping anything sent through it thinking it's automated SPAM.

If you have hosting try a copy of your cart with modifications to the config to suit and setup SMTP using that and test it out using the hosting settings for mail.

Guest CheapScotsman

Thanks guys ... I am pretty sure that mail() just dumps it to to the SMTP server on the local box ... and since I am hosting it on my own box, I guess I'll have to install an SMTP server and try it myself ...

If anybody has a recommendation for an SMTP service under Windows ... and any configuration tips so I don't get blocked by all the other mail servers I need to talk to, it would be appreciated.

Guest CheapScotsman

From reading the PHP docs on mail(), it just uses SMTP anyways so this is where I am so far

I am hosting cubecart on my own machine

I have another machine with windows 2003 server so I loaded SMTP on that

I changed my php.ini file to point to the server which now has SMTP

Change my cubecart admin info to

Email Name: Left Blank for now

Email Address: [email protected] (this had to match a user configured in SMTP)

Mail Sending Method: mail()

SMTP Port: 25 (don't think this matters as its set in PHP.ini)

Use Authentication: No

SMTP user name: <blank>

SMTP password: <blank>

So I get the message to the SMTP server (which then dies on saying it can't relay it but I think that is an issue with my SMTP configuration ... not cubecbart)

So the next trial (tomorrow if I have time) is to see if I can get it confiugred to use SMTP directly instead of mail() ... or maybe I'll setup the full mail server that I have been wanting to do first.

Guest chaplinmm

Hi,

I seem to have the same problem as you on a dedicated server its not allowing any email to be sent through.

The smtp server is smtp.sksl.com, port number set to 25, mailmethod smtp, authentication set to false.

I have never got any error its just that the email doesnt go to the destination.

Any ideas ? Did you solve your problem?

Regards,

Andrew

I've just installed cubecart. I have my own smtp sever running ok. (it works ok with other carts)

I created 2 new users, neither received a confirmation email.

I made an order with one - still no emails received.

The admin user received an email saying an order had been placed.

Did a send all email/newsletter - still nothing.

yes. smtp is switched on in general settings - confirmed by the fact my admin email address got something ok.

does cubecart force new users to confirm their account with an email confirmation link?

it seems not, I was able to place an order without confirming any email.

Guest CheapScotsman

Hi,

I seem to have the same problem as you on a dedicated server its not allowing any email to be sent through.

The smtp server is smtp.sksl.com, port number set to 25, mailmethod smtp, authentication set to false.

I have never got any error its just that the email doesnt go to the destination.

Any ideas ? Did you solve your problem?

Regards,

Andrew

I haven't played with it much since my post (been working on a few other things) but I couldn't get it to work using the SMTP setting.

If you are hosting your own (like I am) then I changed it to "mail" then make the required changes in php.ini and the mail does hit my SMTP server ... I never got past getting my own SMTP server configured to receive the emails.

I've just installed cubecart. I have my own smtp sever running ok. (it works ok with other carts)

I created 2 new users, neither received a confirmation email.

I made an order with one - still no emails received.

The admin user received an email saying an order had been placed.

Did a send all email/newsletter - still nothing.

yes. smtp is switched on in general settings - confirmed by the fact my admin email address got something ok.

See my post above, I couldn't get it to work using the "SMTP" setting. Changed it to mail then adjusted things in php.ini and cubecbart emails "hit" my SMTP server ... now I just have to configured my SMTP server to do the job

does cubecart force new users to confirm their account with an email confirmation link?

it seems not, I was able to place an order without confirming any email.

No, cubecart doesn't force you to confirm you registration. It also doesn't send an email on registration either (see http://www.cubecart.org for MODs that could do the job).

most forums require email confirmation when registering. (including this one).

It seems strange that this is not enforced when you buy something using a cart(I don't remember doing it for other carts that I've tried either).

I like the look and feel of this cubecart.

I need to see that customers will receive a confirmation email at least when they buy something.

I'm still working on it.

my php/php.ini seems ok, what did you change?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest murkington

yeah, I'm having the same problems...I was able to successfully send a couple emails through the mail() function, but it wouldn't go to my hotmail account, I even checked the junk folder and nothing was there.

I'm at a loss, it seems as though this email thing is the black plague on this forum :blink:

Guest CheapScotsman

most forums require email confirmation when registering. (including this one).

It seems strange that this is not enforced when you buy something using a cart(I don't remember doing it for other carts that I've tried either).

I like the look and feel of this cubecart.

I need to see that customers will receive a confirmation email at least when they buy something.

I'm still working on it.

my php/php.ini seems ok, what did you change?

Sorry for the delay in reply. I kinda missed your post.

I know that, by default, they don't get an email confirmation on registration. To get my email to work, I changed PHP.INI and made changes in the admin screen and that was it. At least I am hitting a "blank" SMTP server. I still have to cnofigured my email system before I can go any further. Been delayed doing some other things over the last two weeks.

yeah, I'm having the same problems...I was able to successfully send a couple emails through the mail() function, but it wouldn't go to my hotmail account, I even checked the junk folder and nothing was there.

I'm at a loss, it seems as though this email thing is the black plague on this forum :blink:

hotmail probably implements both reverse DNS lookup AND SPF checking so you need to ensure that whatever SMTP server you are using to send to hotmail passes these tests.

One to watch for with mail servers is SPAM checking - where the receiving server dosn't deliver the mail but returns for resend to check it's a 'real' mailserver, not a spoofed address.

If the mailserver doesn't respond in time the mail is 'blackholed' and just dissapears.

It's worth using a mailstream server for this as some others will need tweaking to fit 'regulation' operation. Standard *NIX running Apache and EXIM with normal install defaults should work okay, so most basic hosting (unless again SPAM measures have been used that prevent some actions).

If your having SMTP probs the some things to post is server type, mail server type, and if your using a type of control panel with your hosting (as the syntax varies for authentication) with a 'username in the format of' not your actual details just a 'name+domain.com' or 'user'

Never had a prob with this working in CC so I'm sticking my neck out and guessing it's more the variations of config for web servers.