Advertising

Guest prissanna

Guest prissanna

I haven't gotten that far yet (hope to be there in the next few weeks), but I thought I'd get a heads up on what exactly I should be doing. I've seen an ad that if you sign up with google checkout you get $50 credit for that.

What works and what doesn't?

In the beginning, focus on getting your site in the major search engines and google base. Also try to get links back to your site - you can ask friends to link to you, start blogs or profile pages around the web and link to it, etc.

I never pay for advertising so have no help there I'm afraid.

One of the best forms of advertising is in getting free publicity. Mysty's suggestions are similiar to this, especially in getting links to your site from other sites and blog postings. There's a new form of paid advertising called PayPerPost that focuses on getting bloggers to write about your site and/or your products.

If you can write a decent article, this could be a great form of advertising. Write up a short 500 - 1000 word piece, add a brief bio box at the end (to introduce yourself and your website) and submit it to the online article directories. You can also submit them directly to ezines that would publish such an article. Any time your article is read by someone who may be interested in what you offer on your site, you have an opportunity to attract a new prospect.

If you stage newsworthy events (not just sales or new products) you can post a news release on the various PR websites to gain attention to what you're doing.

If you're dealing with digital products, a good option is to offer one of your products to be given away as a bonus with other people's products as a way of 'introducing' yourself to their customers. A new place where I've placed one of my products is the site http://www.thesupergifts.com.

If you just want to pay for ads, a good way to go is to browse the various ezine directories online. Just do a search and you'll find hundreds. One of the best, however, is a paid service at http://www.directoryofezines.com. Many ezines will give new members a free or discounted ad, and you get lots of good information as a member.

Stay away from FFA pages, safe lists (no such thing, really), and the packages of 100's of classified ads. Not only are they a waste of money, but they will quickly tarnish your reputation.