Shopping cart empty

I have been trying to figure this out for 4 months now and nobody seems to know what the deal is. I get 2-3 calls a day from people saying they can't buy from my store (and I just had one customer go to my competition because of it!). The click "add to cart" and when they try to view it, it is empty, thus they can not purchase goods from my store. How much money am I losing? I am willing to bet for every one person that calls, there are 10 that leave forever. HELP, HELP, HELP!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been trying to figure this out for 4 months now and nobody seems to know what the deal is. I get 2-3 calls a day from people saying they can't buy from my store (and I just had one customer go to my competition because of it!). The click "add to cart" and when they try to view it, it is empty, thus they can not purchase goods from my store. How much money am I losing? I am willing to bet for every one person that calls, there are 10 that leave forever. HELP, HELP, HELP!!!

Check in your PHP.INI file on the server (usually in ETC directory) for this setting:

- Register_Globals

It is probably turned off, especially if you're running PHP5. You have to turn it on to get CubeCart to run, BUT, just so it's noted, this is considered a possible security hazard. I'm not techie enough about PHP to explain the hazard part, but it is documented on the net.

Good luck,

Jeff Rodgers

Jeff-Net Crystal Reports Add-On Tools

http://www.jeff-net.com

I use a host so I don't have access to that- or do I?

Check the includes/global.inc.php file. Make sure you have www in the site url.

/Goober

Check the includes/global.inc.php file. Make sure you have www in the site url.

/Goober

Here's what I have;

<?php

$glob['dbdatabase'] = xxxxxxxxx;

$glob['dbhost'] = 'localhost';

$glob['dbpassword'] = 'xxxxxxxxxx';

$glob['dbprefix'] = '';

$glob['dbusername'] = xxxxxxxxx;

$glob['installed'] = '1';

$glob['rootDir'] = '/home/pmcnealy/public_html/sport';

$glob['rootRel'] = '/sport/';

$glob['storeURL'] = 'http://www.motorcycletoystore.com/sport';

?>

Do you think it may help to out the whole URL?

When that happens on my site, it's usually because the customer has javascript turned off in their browser, or they have a privacy setting too high to accept the cookies from the site.

Although it's VERY rare, I get a customer once in a while that says their settings are correct, yet they still get the issue.

Either way, it's always been an issue on the customer's computer since there are so many others that are able to check out just fine.

One thing that I've done to improve the situation was to have Apache prepend a header to every page so a compacy privacy policy (P3P) code could be sent to the browser. This allows the customer to use a 'High' privacy setting and have everything work. Otherwise, they get exactly what you're describing.

I had to ask my server people to add the Header module to the Apache install, as it wasn't included by default, and then I added this line to my .htaccess file:

Header append P3P 'CP="CURi CONi OUR IND PUR NAV DSP ALL COR"'

(If this code causes a 500 Server Error, then the header module is not installed with Apache.)

The code was created using a privacy policy generator that asked me a bunch of questions to determine what my policy actually is.

When that happens on my site, it's usually because the customer has javascript turned off in their browser, or they have a privacy setting too high to accept the cookies from the site.

Although it's VERY rare, I get a customer once in a while that says their settings are correct, yet they still get the issue.

Either way, it's always been an issue on the customer's computer since there are so many others that are able to check out just fine.

One thing that I've done to improve the situation was to have Apache prepend a header to every page so a compacy privacy policy (P3P) code could be sent to the browser. This allows the customer to use a 'High' privacy setting and have everything work. Otherwise, they get exactly what you're describing.

I had to ask my server people to add the Header module to the Apache install, as it wasn't included by default, and then I added this line to my .htaccess file:

Header append P3P 'CP="CURi CONi OUR IND PUR NAV DSP ALL COR"'

(If this code causes a 500 Server Error, then the header module is not installed with Apache.)

The code was created using a privacy policy generator that asked me a bunch of questions to determine what my policy actually is.

Thanks for the info! Where exactly did you place that line on your .htaccess file?

• 3 months later...
Guest Fiction on Demand

I use a host so I don't have access to that- or do I?

I encountered this error upon first setting up my site and this fixed it. I don't know why it didn't generated the www. upon installation???? But it is fixed.

• 8 months later...
Guest kaskudoo

mh.

I - as many others - always had the occassional person not being able to purchase things in my store. Just yesterday I had a few customers and I checked it out myself (usually on Mac w/ FF or Win2k w/FF) I checked on WinXP and Win2k with IE6 and IE7 and was able to re-enact the 'empty basket problem'.

I realized tht when having the privacy settings too high on IE7 it wouldn't work, but lower ones would. Further I realized that it had to do with this mysterious P3P thing.

I just copied this header into the htaccess file of my store and it works now.

After all these month it works now! YEAH!

Thanks man :P

Guest kaskudoo

So apparently IE7 issue with empty basket is done for (at least for me).

However, I just had a customer call about this issue using IE6. I still have an old PC with IE6 and checked it out and the customer was correct. I was able to pinpoint my situation though, because it CAN work. Here is the problem:

When the customer comes in the store and clicks through until on a product page and adds it to the basket it works. Yay :)

However, I have certain specials advertised in banners on my main page, which link directly to the product page in cubecart. If someone follows that link and adds the product into the basket it appears in the cart on the product page. But when viewing the basket contents, there is nothing.

If you then navigate to a different category with products, the content disappears on the basket as well. You can add other products to the basket and VOILA it works -- however, when going back to the product that you really wanted your basket content disappears (instead the original basket content appears) but only as long as you are not actually in the basket - when going there it is completely empty.

If someone wants to experience this, please go right ahead.

My page is here: http://www.chocolateriewanders.com

Click on one of the images to the right and try to add to the basket. (With IE6)

Then, erase all cookies and files and do the same thing, but this time navigate to the product through the start page of cubecart, which you first click on 'shop online' on my site.

Apparently cookies are either written differently or they get issued the wrong way? I am laos not sure if the SEO mod has sth. to do with this. Will try out more tonight. I will also test if IE7 does the same thing .... although i thought it was working after the fix above.

Oh - today a customer also called and couldn't add to the basket using Safari browser on the mac - what the heck?!?!

EDIT:

Ahhhh, the same happens to me on IE7.

Right now the only way around this is to have the customers go through the main home page of the store to the products - then it works. A direct link to a product results in them not being able to add it to the basket :)

EDIT 2:

Alright, the same is true for any browser as I just realized. You apparently have to go through the main page of the store :(