editing the homepage

Guest gromit

Guest gromit

Hi

When i try and update the homepage of HJT Training

it allows me to change the page but when i click on update it just goes back to the default content. This site is running on windows not unix.

any ideas anyone?

thanks

Guest groovejuice

This particular problem is caused by a failure to read pinned posts. This has been asked and answered a gazillion times. I can also assure you that my time and the time of the moderators and other contributors here is just as valuable as yours! :w00t:

Change permissions of language/yourlanguage/home.inc.php to 777 to edit and then back to default immediately after the update.

Guest pcprob

sorry for that post!

I had a hard day at work

I found the text in the language file home.inc.php but after a edit and an reupload I didnt saw my text at front.

Guest gromit

This particular problem is caused by a failure to read pinned posts. This has been asked and answered a gazillion times. I can also assure you that my time and the time of the moderators and other contributors here is just as valuable as yours! ;)

Change permissions of language/yourlanguage/home.inc.php to 777 to edit and then back to default immediately after the update.

I am running this on windows and it takes no notice of the file permissions i set, i tried it anyway, and it still doesnt allow me to update the text on the homepage.

any ideas?

Guest gromit

well you can try to download the file edit it and reupload it

set the file on 777

Windows does not use the unix file security and it ignores the 777 settings. I do not want to have to change the file manually as my customer may need to change it themselves at any point.

I have not had this issue with any other cubecart install.

I have tried copying the home file from an existing install and it also portrays the same simptom of net letting me save changes

Guest groovejuice

@gromit, sorry I have no experience with windows servers, so I cannot help with the issue. I recall from a past thread that occasionally the host may not allow permission changes, so try contacting them. Alternately,CC is not recommended for windows servers (you may encounter other problems down the road) so if a switch to Linux is an option for you, you may want to consider it.

@pcprob, you are welcome. Glad it worked out for you. ;)

On the Windows Server, you'll need to give Modify, Read and Write access to the file from INET_xxx_USR

(xxx is the machine name)

Even though CC wants the permissions set back to read-only, it will continue to work with write permissions set.

From reading the CC3.1 blog, the next version will play nicer with Windows servers.

Jason

Guest gromit

On the Windows Server, you'll need to give Modify, Read and Write access to the file from INET_xxx_USR

(xxx is the machine name)

Even though CC wants the permissions set back to read-only, it will continue to work with write permissions set.

From reading the CC3.1 blog, the next version will play nicer with Windows servers.

Jason

Thanks, this is a strange one as i have 4 other installs all running fine with no issues, then i get this one! i will speak with my host and maybe get them to completely remove everything and start again

Guest gromit

Hi, thought i would update you on this, I had a brainwave that this webspace used to have frontpage extensions installed and after a quick chat with my host, all permissions etc were reset and hey presto all ok now!

thanks for your input with this