Duplicate Product Codes

Guest badges

Guest badges

I am auto generating product codes and have recently noticed that there are quite a few duplicates - in some cases the same code has been used four times! Is there a fix for this, or at least a way to prevent this happening with any further additions to my inventory? I'm in the process of trawling though my 700+ products to check and edit the codes. :)

I'm using version 3.0.15.

Thanks.

There's not as the code sits right now. I think the 'product code' code should be revised to give longer strings and verify uniqueness prior to assignment in the database. It would be an easy rewrite, but you'd need a custom script to change all your existing products.

As an aside, most people with that many products use the Product Code to hold a manufacturer's part number or distributor order number or some such thing.

:)

Guest badges

There's not as the code sits right now. I think the 'product code' code should be revised to give longer strings and verify uniqueness prior to assignment in the database. It would be an easy rewrite, but you'd need a custom script to change all your existing products.

You'd have thought it'd be standard, really..? Ack, well I've changed all my duplicate codes manually and will just have to make do with filling in the product code fields from now on. Just occurred to me that I ought to test whether it is possible to manually duplicate the code too.

As an aside, most people with that many products use the Product Code to hold a manufacturer's part number or distributor order number or some such thing.

That would make sense, but unforch these don't exist for my products.

:w00t:

Thanks SW. */*

• 4 years later...