Why is my index.tpl file not the same as others?

Guest fullt

Guest fullt

I'm trying to remove the Search box from my store and I found the thread that explains it, but when I go to \skins\Legend\styleTemplates\global\index.tpl I only see:

index.tpl

File Type: exported SGML document text

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

{SEARCH_FORM}

{SESSION}

{CATEGORIES}

{RANDOM_PROD}

{INFORMATION}

{CURRENCY}

{LANGUAGE}

{PAGE_CONTENT}

{SHOPPING_CART}

{POPULAR_PRODUCTS}

{SALE_ITEMS}

{MAIL_LIST}

{SITE_DOCS}

Where are the <div> tags? When I opened the index.tpl in Notepad and removed the {SEARCH_FORM} from the index, my store wasn't there anymore, just an error message that said:

[XTemplate]

parse: blockname [body] does not exist

I reloaded the original index.tpl file so the store is back, but what am I doing wrong? Thanks.

The store is fullthrottletees.com

In the first case, you had opened the file with your browser or perhaps a wysiwyg program, which does no good.

In the second case, you got it right. You opened the file with a text editor. Since you got an error message afterward ([XTemplate] parse: blockname [body] does not exist), this indicates that either the file was renamed by notepad (the name must be index.tpl and it must remain in global folder) or you removed the parsing code <!-- BEGIN: body -->

To edit these files as instructed in forum posts, mod instructions, etc. you need to open the appropriate files with a text editor. You may use virtually any text editor, like notepad or even a text mode in a wysiwyg editor. Sometimes, notepad will add spaces to a file in inappropriate places. Also, sometimes it will not save a file with correct extension, to force notepad to save a file without .txt extension you can always put quotes around the name when saving, like "index.tpl"

For best results editing source files I would recommend using a better text editor. I like to use Notepad++ from sourceforge, it is a great free editor, There are tons of other great free editors out there as well.

Guest fullt

I'll try the text editor you rcommended, but why are there no <div> tags (or any tags for that matter) in the index.tpl file like I see in other posts that asked a similar question?

ps - originally I opened the index.tpl file, hit ctrl A, ctrl C and then ctrl V in Notepad. I removed the 'search_form' words, saved it as index.tpl and ftp'd the new file into the same folder it was in originally. I'm green, but I don't think I messed up where I put the file or its name. I tried a second time, but had the same error message. :w00t:

Thanks for your help, tho.

Guest fullt

Nevermind - found it! Woo Hoo!! :w00t::D*/*

(Hey - it's a big deal to those of us that are changing careers from blue collar to computers!)

Guest Beadvine

I agree that it's not easy being green, hence my signature line!! But can somebody please shed some light on this parsing code for those of us that aren't actually web developers for a living?!? Oh and you may as well put that it "strawberry blonde" terms as well!! Sorry, not trying to make fun or anything, but I really am a damsel in distress and I could use a knight in shining armour to come to my rescue */*

Basically I have what looks to be a similar problem but on my confirmed.php page (is that upload/confirmed.php or modules/gateway/Protx/confirmed.php?!?). Anyway on the confirmation screen after the Protx payment gateway I get this error message:-

Warning: fread() [function.fread]: Length parameter must be greater than 0. in /home/xxxx/public_html/classes/xtpl.php on line 904

XTemplate]

parse: blockname [confirmation.session_true.order_success] does not exist

parse: blockname [confirmation.session_false] does not exist

parse: blockname [confirmation] does not exist

I've been using Dreamweaver to open and edit files :w00t: is this a bad thing? Green, remember!! But I haven't touched anything in the classes folder to my knowledge. I am really sorry if this all sounds a bit daft, or you have heard it all before, but I'm still on my 'L' plates...

with me editing files - i open up me ftp - smartftp, browse a file, click to edit, it d/l's it to me temp file on me pc, edit in dreamweaver, save [without renaming it] and upload - iv had no errors whatsoever by doing it this way/ :w00t: