help needed

Guest hardnut33

Guest hardnut33

I wanted to put a new box on the site similar to the featured product box. and i want it to display an image that you can click on and by doing so, will open a new window to that link..

I was hoping to get the images to change every time the homepage is visited, just like the featured product box too...

i understand how to create and place a new box on the page....it is the image and link i cant get my head round...

could i create a new site docs page and create a page of image links there instead?

whatever is easier is best for me!!

any advice and guidance is appreciated

Guest webicon

I'd guess that in your mysql database you could create a new table with these fields:

id_ad

link_name (for alt tag)

link_address (url)

link_image (name of image - note actual image would have to be uploaded to images file directly)

Then in the index.tpl file write a custom sql statement to pull in one record at random and then set up a bit of html to display the pulled info.

If you wanted this all automated and configurable in the admin (and are not too hot or comfortable with php and mysql) - you would be better requesting this from cubecart.org ...

or a page of graphic links is indeed an option - and needs no additional knowledge to set up....

Guest hardnut33

the first answer sounds far too complicated! lol

i guess a new box displaying one image is a lot simpler (like my paypal logo in a box)

Could i use a new page in the site docs section rather than a html page linked to the store? How would i do this in a site docs page

Well, there are a great number of ways to do this . . .

Yes, you could create db fields to hold everything, but why bother UNLESS you are going to do the complete mod and make it all configurable in admin?

You can certainly very easily create a sidebox and add a single static image, and link it to anywhere on the web you like. This is very elementary html and you can figure out how to do this just by reading the pinned posts in this forum, or searching google for a free tutorial:

manipulating boxes in CubeCart

Another way would be to use a javascript slideshow there so you could but a whole list of images and links. There is more than one way to skin a cat :dizzy:

Guest hardnut33

java slideshow sounds good,,but i dont know much and would need step by step help!

i have already done a box with static image (paypal logo) without any probs..is a java slideshow a lot more complicated?

any help markscarts is very welcome...

There are instructions about putting in a slideshow in this post by GARY.

Note, there is mention of my own work on a slideshow in that thread, you need to ignore that because it is a mod that shows slides of products in the store. What you need to do is simply code in the show by hand, as Gary instructs, because your plan is to put in certain images and link to outside pages. :dizzy:

This is not very difficult, search the web for javascript sideshows, find a script you would like to use, and follow the instructions for that script. If part of the script needs to go into head of document, per instructions, then paste that part into your skin's global/index.tpl file just below the line:

<script language="javascript" src="js/jslibrary.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

For the rest, follow the instructions that come with tyour slideshow script. You can create a box to put the slideshow in, like you did for the logo you mentuioned, and put the script code there in place of the code you used for logo image.

HTH

Mark

P.S. here is an example of rotating ads coded in javascript slideshow (in development now, links not added, store not finished)

http://www.allstarbowling.com/devStore/

use "view source" for more info

Guest hardnut33

i kind of understand it in theory...but i think its a little more than what im capable of!

i havent written any kind of code before and wouldnt know where to start..

all the mods i have installed and changes that have been made are down to excellent tutorials and instructions by people on here...(thanks all) but im a numbnut when it comes to doing it myself!

Im just about reaching my limit creating a new box.. :dizzy:

by the way, the bowling site looks brilliant..