CubeCart capabilities?

Laico

Hello. I'm currently evaluating CubeCart versus CS-Cart. I installed CubeCart, created some sample products, and searched the forums, but am unable to find the answers to the following questions:

1) Is there a straightforward way to set fixed shipping costs based upon the customer's location? For example, $25 for anyone in the US, and $50 for everyone else.

2) Does CubeCart support product attributes? It has options, as do almost all the other shopping carts I looked at. But it seems to be the only one that does not have product attributes. I don't want to end up putting all of the product attributes into the single product description, and delimiting them in some kludgy way.

On the shipping question I can't help, I'm more familiar with digital products than tangible ones. As to attributes, the answer is no for CubeCart 3.0.x, and I'm not sure if this will be in the upcoming 3.1 series . . . but modding CubeCart to have extra fields for products is relatively easy, and third-party mods exist for this as well.

On the shipping question I can't help, I'm more familiar with digital products than tangible ones. As to attributes, the answer is no for CubeCart 3.0.x, and I'm not sure if this will be in the upcoming 3.1 series . . . but modding CubeCart to have extra fields for products is relatively easy, and third-party mods exist for this as well.

Thanks for the reply! I see that there is a forum that focuses on shipping/postage issues; I will post the remaining question there.

Misty,

I don't want to end up putting all of the product attributes into the single product description

I think he means specific additional fields

As an example, if you sold DVD's you might want a field for each of these attributes,

• Starring:

• Pub Date:

• Directed by:

• Produced by:

• Length:

etc., etc., etc.

It is not the best solution to simply add a list to every product description more often than not.

Misty,

Mark is correct. Product attributes are values shared among all products, and are typically user-definable. In other words, for every product, I might want to have an attribute "manufacturer country" and for each product assign a particular value for that attribute.

It's a fairly basic feature found in most shopping carts. The only alternative is to put everything into a list of some sort, in the product description, which is definitely not the best solution.

If you know php, you can also create these fields in the database and have them pull into your product page. A very easy mod to do really.

Or, if they are the same for every product, you could just put it directly on the product page.

There's a handy little overview to help you along in this old thread.

Mysty, the attributes would never be the same for all products, so this can't be hard-coded into viewProd.tpl. To help you understand, try to think of a store selling products that typically make use of such attributes - the fields are common to all products, but the data varies . . .

Books . . .

Records . . .

Movies . . .

etc.

depends on what you are selling. If you sell all DVDs, format would *always* be DVD for example. So could be all the same. I've hard coded some info into some of my sites that never changes such as shipping information.