How do I have my website come up as one of the first on Google?

Guest dramione

Guest dramione

Hi! I've just registered here and I am having a few problems with publicizing my webiste/business.

I would like my website to come up near the first pages or first page of Google, and I've tried everything keyword related, description, first couple of lines of the website, etc. to promote it.

Where do I go from here? Sorry if this has been a continued topic. Feel free to suggest advertising methods of all sorts. I am open for all suggestions.

*I'm using the 1&1 Website Builder

Thanks

dramione

The best solution is to be the best website for your particular niche.

Google tries to adjust their indexing criteria from time to time, and this plays havoc with any site that uses any sort of 'tricks' to gain SE visibility. However, sites that are just too good to be ignored will do fine no matter what.

Keyword-rich text and page titles are very important. Think of the keywords that customers may be putting into Google when looking for you, and include these in numerous locations throughout your site, and multiple times on the same pages. Of course, include them sporadically and in the general flow of the text (and make sure it makes sense, Google is clever and will pick you up if you've just spammed the words!)

Guest offthehook

Getting your website near the top of the Google search results is very difficult. Of course it all depends on what kind of searches you want to be at the top of.

If you want to be top of a particular keyword that has, say, 30,000,000 results then you are really going to be up against it as you'll be competing against millions of websites.

If you are just relying on your site getting there through content rather than advertising then be patient and build up your site content. It could be a year or two before you see your site getting there. Look at the competition sites, see what they are doing, see if they are advertising (pay per click). Perhaps they use Google adwords.

Try to get links into your site, although its difficult for commercial sites to get free links and may cost, but you could use the social networking sites such as digg or delicious to post links. Forums may exist for niche markets and products, find them, register and post links to your site - but don't spam whatever you do!

If you are really serious then you should consider paying for advertising. Pay per click could cost from hundreds of pounds every month up to tens of thousands of pounds. It all depends on how much business you want. But my general advice is that you have to speculate to accumulate. Do a bit of research into search engine marketing companies, arrange meetings with a few so you can find a company who you feel happy working with asd developing a good relationship will be of benefit to you. They may advise chnages you can make to your site, and should not guarantee anything. They should be able to put together a flexible marketing plan to a budget and be giving you constant feedback.

I fully believe that unless you are spending to advertise then your online store will not be able to generate enough traffic and sales to be a full time business.

Of course once you have traffic then its no guarantee of getting sales. So its important that you get the right traffic to your site. Too many times I see advertisers on Google coming up on particular searches only for their link to be of no relevance. My wasted click has cost them money, so don't get caught up in trying to get any old traffic in, as it may be a waste of time. You need a clear plan of how to market your site and who to market it to.

Good luck.

By the way, we could perhaps give you a bit more advice if we could see your site.