TopHeader size problem with smaller screen resolutions

Guest ballesdegolf.fr

Guest ballesdegolf.fr

Hi there

Just came back from a freinds house who has there monitor set to 600x800 and uses IE and I have seen that my site looks a dogs dinner as the TopHeader is too big and is pushing everything out of line.

I wondered how one is "supposed" to size the topheader image for paople who still use these screen res settings?

I have also just noticed that there is a small off set in the tabs accross the top -ie a small step between the left bottom border of the tabs and the first tab. Is this related to me current TopHeader image size do you think? Should the first tab be flush with the left hand edge?

My current image size is 863 x 97 which was intended to mirror the shape of the search box and approximately centre the text in screen resolutions settings in the 1000 x 800 area

Any help on size or an alternative way of creating the current look with less image would be much appreciated. Since there is mainly text I wondered if there wasn't some way of coding the text and just image lefting the ball splash image, therefore making it smaller in width?

Thanks

Jim

That is all part of designing a website, making decisions on the browser widths that you want to support.

As you have not provided a URL to your site, I can only assume you're using a standard skin. As you're having width issues, I assume you are using the 'killer' skin (also the give away is the tabs) with too many top level categories... all guess work so far.

Four solutions:

1. Reduce the number of top level categories.

2. Change to one of the other shipped skins, Classic or Legend.

3. Customise the skin yourself to work with lower resolutions.

4. Visit cubecartforums.org for a wide selection of third-party skins.

:dizzy:

In addition to Robsta advice (right on the mark), I offer the comments I made a few minutes ago in a different thread http://www.cubecart.com/site/forums/index....=28381&hl=#

You are on the right track in being concerned about low res displays. There are tens of millions of CRTs out there, still in service. If you design to them, and regularly check your work in progress on higher res monitors, you'll have a store than any visitor can use.

And don't forget to look at things in various browsers.

Good luck

There are tens of millions of CRTs out there, still in service. If you design to them, and regularly check your work in progress on higher res monitors, you'll have a store than any visitor can use.
Even with hi resolution LCDs displays, who actually has the browsers full screen? I certainly don't. The browser still remains much narrower, nearer 900px wide, even though the screen is 1280px wide.

Guest ballesdegolf.fr

Hi there Robsta and Jerseyjoe

JJ I just came from reading you post to Fullt with whom I have been exchanging too. Very interesting. I am already a big CC fan and am very willing to stick with it and play around. As far as not posting a URL OOPPS! but then again I guess maybe my pseudo might give it away. Anyway if you have any time spare and wouldn't mind having a quick look again here it is:

Robsta:

What are you suggesting here? I am still VERY new to this (as maybe the site will show!) but it is exactly this point that I was hoping to get a bit of advise on if possible.

Thank you both

Jim

Robsta:

What are you suggesting here? I am still VERY new to this (as maybe the site will show!) but it is exactly this point that I was hoping to get a bit of advise on if possible.

Skins are very customisable. Take a look at the documentation for some information on what does what... link in my sig.