Decision time!

Guest 4th wave

Guest 4th wave

Hello everyone!

My question is this:

I was looking at Zen cart but it seems as though you need to know PHP and it is more time consuming than Cube cart which I found through another message board.

Before I download and begin the task of learning and integrating a shopping cart into our site can anyone take a moment give me the upside of Cube cart over Zen. I don't mind the time to learn a program or even a little programming language if I have to but my goals are keeping the expense down as well as the time.

Thank's in advance :homestar:

4th wave

If you do a search for 'zencart', you'll find quite a few posts where this has been discussed before.

When I tried Zencart (before I knew about CubeCart), the main problem I had was the very confusing administration system. It was almost like working with Zencart was the same as solving kōans.

In CubeCart, everything is laid out in a very simple structure where you can find exactly what you're looking for when you need to.

Another upside to CubeCart is that the core system is relatively bug-free. You're not expected to be a software developer to make use of it, which is not the case with Zencart. There, you're expected to "finish the job" and customize the software to your exact needs.

The downside to CubeCart is that the current version has somewhat limited features, although this is being corrected in version 4, which should be ready in the next month or two.

Only to echo Alans comments, CubeCart is a very worthy system.

If you've got Fantasico with your hosting, you should be able to get a basic installation in about 2 minutes...

Even with the traditional FTP/Install script installation, it is fairly quick - the "trickiest bit" being knowing the mySQL database details (which you'll also have on Zen/OSc etc).

There is a growing documentation project at www.cubecartforums.org which describes the basics on the template system and style sheets used.

This forum is to really discuss the basic functionality of CC, with the www.cubecartforums.org forum mainly discussing commercial and free 3rd party mods/skins.

My advice would be to do a rough install, and check-out the functionality inside the admin panel and from a customers pov.

Jason

Guest IT Concepts

Check the functionality critical for your business model. CubeCart lacks some very basic stuff [ like keeping client updated on status - this is an issue if you have business / credit customers ] as well some serious issues if you will have employees manage your store and let them have admin access [ there is no mandatory bcc of messages sent from store ] then you would be better off waiting for CC next releas.

CC can keep the customer updated on status:

ACP->Orders->Order Status, tick "Inform Customer", and type some notes into the box...

I do like the admin log on CC4, and this will help stores with multiple administrators.

Jason

Guest Chuchen

CubeCart is a really new and simple way to do business with a real CSS cart. This is great. HTML is so old now...

Only one problem: CubeCart 4.0 is still a dream for almost everybody. Each month, I should say this version is always for the next month... So, depend of the time you have, but if you can wait september or october (ok, let's say november), CubeCart is really the best choice. No doubt about this.

I used X-Cart, CS-Cart, Pinnacle and CubeCart 3. Pinnacle and CubeCart are really good (but Pinnacle is NOT a CSS cart at all), the new CubeCart version will be fantastic I think. That's why I wait, like everybody :)

Guest sk8rdie

I played with Zen Cart for a while. My web designer did as well. We both thought that Cube Cart would be better. I learned very quickly to add stuff. It took a while to figure out the shipping.. went with per Item. I'm going to go back and play with Zen for a bit but my pick is Cube Cart. Feel free to ask questions... I know i will be.

• 1 month later...

I played with Zen Cart for a while. My web designer did as well. We both thought that Cube Cart would be better. I learned very quickly to add stuff. It took a while to figure out the shipping.. went with per Item. I'm going to go back and play with Zen for a bit but my pick is Cube Cart. Feel free to ask questions... I know i will be.

I like Zen for the price :-) , but it is harder for customers to navigate the admin panel - for this reason I have built several sites using CC3 and purchased the copyright removal key for all, I was actually coming to buy another key when I saw version4 coming and a price increase on version 3

I like the sounds of CC v4 but at 3x what I have been paying for version 3 I doubt I will even try it unles I get a job that requires a feature that is only available with 4.

Even the price for copyright removal for version 3 has went up about 20%.

It is a great product , but pricing is making me consider modding a seperate control panel in ZEN that is a little more customer friendly and give that a try.

When we quit using windows server and MS SQL and switched to Linux and MY SQL, we wound up with a better product , and an extra 2500.00 is savings per server.

Cheers

Even the price for copyright removal for version 3 has went up about 20%.

No, that is factually wrong. The lower price that you are thinking of was a discount promotion that ran for a while. It was never the full list price, and it clearly stated that.