Please help! A few "can this be done questions"

Guest jamble

Guest jamble

Hi Folks,

I'm in a bit of a predicament as a client is currently witholding payment on a cart I've customised for her because she feels I've not done enough work on it (not that what she wants was in the original spec for the job but nevermind!) and I've reached the point where I need to be paid and I'd just like to get some definitive answers on whether the things she is now asking for are possible or not and if they are, I'll do it, if not, I'm going to take the site down until I get my money!

Anyway ... enough of the sob story, here's what she's asking:

1. The site documents are hard to find....ie wholesale information etc.

2. The categories I had wanted a drop menu under each so that I could break down each sub-category

3. I need the ability to show-case my manufactures with large photos and text and unable to do so.

4. the individual product photos appear to be poor quality (they are all taken professionally) I believe that this cube art issue. I had also wanted zoom on each of the product photos.

now:

1. I think that's just an easy change of template to move the site docs link somewhere more prominent

2. I believe she's looking for a sub category within a main category eg: within "Footwear" she would want "Leather shoes" and "Canvas shoes". Is this sort of thing possible? I guess the menu for categories would then also need matching sub lists?

3. This would in effect be a product/manufacturer homepage within a category eg. Footwear - Leather Shoes - Jamble's Shoes - Then all the shoes in Jamble's shoes range.

4. Is there a setting which optimises images to a certain % quality?

Thanks folks, sorry it's a bit of a long post, hopefully someone can answer these questions for me and help me get paid! (If any of the questions above require paid mods to be installed, this isn't a problem, just let me know)

Thanks again,

James.

Even if you do break down and give in to your customer's demands, you want to make sure that there won't be additional demands after the current ones. Some customers are experts at the 2-year old's favorite game - "just one more......".

As Steve mentioned, there are many existing mods at CubeCartForums.org, both free and paid. You should be able to find what you need to make the 4 changes there.

Showcasing Manufacturers could be just a new Site Doc. What you've posted is FAR from clear as to what is actually wanted. With a site doc, your customer ALREADY has the means to showcase manufacturers.

Guest webicon

Thats horrendous - I'm sure any web designer can sympothise with being put in that situation....

As AlanT and stevie have said - you need to tie this client down to what was agreed BEFORE you do anything further. I'm sure whatever price you have quoted will not cover you for indefinate changes. - Some customers just use the 'one last thing' as a means to never pay you... If you have a contract already - I would be tempted to do just as Stevie said - Take down the site until Paid...

Not much more to add to the above - but I'll try...

I come from a Industrial/Research automation background - and are very familiar with "one more thing" - normally this requires expensive physical items and days of extra design and software.

The haggling usually took place towards the end of the project when deadlines werelooming..

The most important piece of work in a project is the specification -if you didn't write one (or ask your client to write one that you agreed to), you don't have much to bargain with. Your next project will be better :-)

Obviously, if you're only making beer money - you can't spend a week on creating a specification.

I generally have a .pdf document that outlines all the cubecart features and many of the 3rd party mods.

I then have a generic specification that contains the basics which is tweaked. It looks good, but isn't much work to send out.

If the store is currently trading, do not take it work without consulting with your client. Leave this as a last resort. Do change any passwords (so they can't back-up the store - obviously take your own backup)

The goals here are for you to get paid, and your client to have a store that meets their specifications.

To get to these goals, both of you will need to compromise.

Find out exactly what they need, if the list you've provided is their entire feedback, its not good enough!

They need to tell you *exactly* what they need. I'd expect a paragraph or more for each item, or example web sites, in any case, more than a single line per item.

Write the amendments down, and make sure you tell them exactly what they will get, and get them to agree.

I'd then write to them, listing the changes required, and explain what parts you feel are above your original quotation. It would be worth including your original specification/quotation, so that can see the difference.

Depending on the profit made, you may feel its worthwhile to split any costs (you should be putting a labour charge down for your time!) This should be seen as a sign of goodwill, obviously if the additional costs are very low and your profit was high, I'd be inclined to swallow the small loss at the benefit of a better relationship with your client.

Make sure they know the costs you're absorbing whatever the decision.

How things go will depend on the type of company and your negotiation skills.

By being a bit more methodical, and making them explain their requirements in greater detail, it should make sure they treat the project and you a bit more seriously.

If they can casually fire off an email and you'll jump on the changes, they will keep doing it.

Jason

superb case of scope creep if your client just sent you that now...

It's pretty clear cut though. If the client initially asked for those features, you're obliged, if not don't waste your time, take it down. Cite original email exchanges / messages as evidence of the features / customization requested if you feel the need but otherwise stop work if it's not what was agreed on.

act like a professional & you will be treated by the client like one.

Guest jamble

thanks for the replies folks, I've suggested a couple of absolutely final things I'll do and if I don't receive payment immediately I've advised I'll take the site down.

I think some of the things are easy enough and quick fixes and it's one of those where I'd rather get paid than take the site down but I'll let you know how it goes!