v4 and why still no manufacturer option

Can someone enlighten me as to why there is not manufacturer option in CCv4. This option is good for clothes store where they can search in designer section or the product categories. Not only is this good for clothes store but its good for whatever store. Why is there still no option for this?

Guest Rikki

Not sure myself do other cart systems offer this? I tend to make cats for manufacturers then populate that way. Some ecom systems might sell generic things and not require a manufacturer specific field in the core functionality (say for batteries or light bulbs or some other fairly generic item that could be made by a number of brands).

Thats the thing.. how do one separate the categories and the brands. You can just populate in the categories but its best to have a separate. Better management and search options. Actually a few shop carts offer this such as vmart and oscommerce. But I don;t really like oscommerce control panel. Any guys from CC, can give a comment here. Will there be a manufacturer/brand option in the future release. I think this is badly needed, doesn't anybody think so.

Guest gwizard

Zen Cart has the manufacturers option as well.

I though there was a mod for it for v3 ?

Maybe that will solve your issue for now.

Guest gwizard

Don't be.

They can't do all the features that people want because then it would take AGES for cc to come out.

Besides, you need to leave something for the modding community or else it would get very empty in here :unsure:

Guest Brivtech

Yes, and it would be one step less to qualifying as a web 2.0 product!

Adding a manufacturers option is pretty simple:

Set up a manufacturers lookup table, that holds manufacturers details as you need them, then in your inventory table, simply add in a manufacturer lookup reference, that links to the respective record in the mantfacturers table.

Then, whatever application you have for manufacturer data, you can simply do a quick db search, and you'll have all the information you need.

Something that anyone with a basic php/mySQL programming knowledge could achieve with a little bit of patience, and a spare afternoon.

The question here is: What would you do with the manufacturer's information once you have it? There are so many different ways of using that data, and it's difficult to accomodate all possibilities.