strange question to ask but...

Guest guyroberts

Guest guyroberts

What do you guys think is a decent price to design, implement, host a cubecart website featuring paypal payments pro (taking Credit card transactions through the site) with SSL. Including a custom fully modded skin and a few extra mods for functionality.

I was thinking about £3,000 in GBP is this too expensive / cheap? I have to put i the cost of hosting, domain, email service, SSL, third party mods, CC Licence into the full price too.

What's the general opinion?

It will depend on who is doing the work, the support offered and the CubeCart experience of the person/company doing the work.

Would this price include a dedicated server? If so, its much more reasonable.

For a company to pay £3000, it may well be a board level descision, not just down to one person - and they may want to deal with a Ltd company for a supplier.

If you're dealing with a private individual (ie working from home in the evenings), I'd say it was expensive. They can't put serious time into the project (3 or 4 hours/night max, if they have a day job), and any queries will have to wait until the evening for a response.

If you paid £3K for a store and the server was down, but the designer was unreachable, you'd be pretty mad.

However, for an full-time buisness, that isn't unreasonable - they would have much higher overheads.

But I still think it is expensive if they are familar with CC. If the store needed extensive customisation (you've not mentioned this), the price will of course be higher - and can rapidly get into bigger numbers.

They should also be able to offer proper office hours service and take telephone calls, or do face-to-face meetings.

Here is a real example on whats possible:

This morning, I've installed CC3.0.17, with a few free and paid-for mods (purchased today), in the space of 2 hours. (also involves coffee). Payment is via PayPal IPN - so easy and quick to set-up.

PayPal Pro would need more work than PayPal IPN, and I need to find/purchase a skin - or using someone to design one -usign a 3rd party will take more time, and cost more than an off-the-shelf one.

My customer is a graphic artist (TV graphics), so should have a banner (or can make one), so that leaves hosting, and SSL

(hosting is in place, and SSL is quick and easy to sort out).

If I found a skin today, the difference would be PayPal pro (and SSL), and a lot more money.

If I charged £1000, for this mornings work, it would be nice :-) I could then have £500 for a really special custom skin, and be 1/2 your price.

The mods & cc licence would come to less that £50 - the skin price will vary wildly.

I'm not sure of the nature of your question, have you been quoted the fiqure, or are you looking to charge this figure?

If you're looking to charge that price, and you find someone willing pay - superb :-)

I would be more inclined to price lower, but have an option of monthly support/retainer, say 1 day/month. This can be on-going, and keeps you in contact with the customer for when they want a new system/upgrade. That type of system can work really well.

If you've been quoted this, post a detailed specification on cubecartforums.org and invite quotes with sample stores by PM.

Jason

Guest webicon

I have to agree with Jason - if you were a full time company offering unparallelled full-time support then you might get away with a 3k quote... but realistically with people getting more switched on to using the internet these days and the availabilty of one-click install scripts and cheap hosting I'd say it would be a push.

If you were thinking of setting up and just doing this via the internet for a few extra quid then I'd say take a look at your competition. There are many great CC community modders that can offer a custom skin, hosting and back up for less than 1K.

Also consider that the more people pay - the more they want for their money... If your thinking about setting up for yourself consider how much you want to be responsible to the customer for...

Guest guyroberts

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies!

Basically, I have a customer that has a 3K budget and has looked at a couple of my previous sites and wants something along these lines. The majority of the work will be in the skin design as they want something quite bespoke, pus an advanced search facility etc, so I'm happy to charge the amount as they are happy to pay, but wanted to know if it was ethical to do so!

It won't be on a dedicated server unless they are happy to pay the monthly cost, but I will need to offer a years support too. It's not a problem as I can be reached any time of the day or night.

Thanks!

Guy