Creating your Own Thumbnails for CC3

Hi Everyone

Ok - my animations are done.

I'm having problems uploading my images and then showing them as thumbnails

I know i can create my own thumbnails... so what i've done is i created a folder under public_html which says flaircon and then i created another folder called thumbnails.

I copy all my animations to the public_html>flaircon folder and then i copy my thumbnails into public_html>flaircon>thumbnails

Problem is....

In CC3 admin when i do a browse for existing product image, it takes me by default to the public_html>images>upload folder

And the reason i want to do it this way is because i want my thumbnails to be of different sizes, eg. banners would be different size to a logo and it would look silly if i put a banner in a 100x100px thumbnail.

Also don't know why but when i upload my thumbnails they become static and not animated.... like this site...

animation factory

Can someone pls tell me what i'm doing wrong and what steps i should take to make this work.

Thanks so much!

My New Project

Cheers

Andrea

Guest Fluffy

Make sure the thumbnails you're uploading are animated.

On my previous post, I was talking about overwriting the automatically generated thumbnail already on the server.

<<CubeCart Directory>>/images/uploads/thumbs

I believe the way you're doing still uses the GD2 processing.

I could be wrong, let me know if I am anyone.

Hi,

don't upload thumbnails via the CubeCart upload - just use FTP.

If any .gifs are manipulated by CubeCart, you'll lose the animation, GD doesn't handle it .

The problem is that you may be uploading .jpgs / .pngs whilst your thumbnails are .gif

I can't check at the moment, but I *think* the cubecart code will prefix the image filename with "thumbs/thumb_"

So.. if your main image filename is "widget.jpg", cubecart will be looking for "/thumbs/thumb_widget.jpg"

You'll either have to make all your product images .gif (not good for photos), OR make a few code changes.

This will mean anywhere there are thumbnails, will need the php code tweaking. You'll also need to stop thumbnail creation (which is fairly easy) - in /admin/filemanage/upload.php

If you're not familiar with editing code, you may need to ask for help in cubecartforums.org

Jason

Hi

Thanks Vokf for your reply.

I'm using all gif images for my animations - i uploaded two of them to test them out here Flair Concepts - it doesn't matter which way i upload my gif files they become static once they turn into thumbnails.

So would you say that i upload via FTP to my uploads folder and then in CC3 admin i browse to the uploads folder and pick out the picture which is pic_gif? I have tried doing this but i get the same result. Also if i'm offering these as digital downloads i would need to specify a different folder which would be in this case something like FLAIRCONFILES and then upload via ftp my products in there... but the problem is that in admin when i go to browse for the product instead of the upload > it doesn't allow me to go to any other folder apart from the uploads folder.

This will mean anywhere there are thumbnails, will need the php code tweaking. You'll also need to stop thumbnail creation (which is fairly easy) - in /admin/filemanage/upload.php
I'm kind of familiar in changing code and going through all the files and folders but just need to know exactly what code i need to change ;-) in order to do the tweaking. so if i go to the upload.php what is it i need to do pls :)

Thanks so much

Cheers

Andrea :)

Hi,

don't upload thumbnails via the CubeCart upload - just use FTP.

If any .gifs are manipulated by CubeCart, you'll lose the animation, GD doesn't handle it .

The problem is that you may be uploading .jpgs / .pngs whilst your thumbnails are .gif

I can't check at the moment, but I *think* the cubecart code will prefix the image filename with "thumbs/thumb_"

So.. if your main image filename is "widget.jpg", cubecart will be looking for "/thumbs/thumb_widget.jpg"

You'll either have to make all your product images .gif (not good for photos), OR make a few code changes.

If you're not familiar with editing code, you may need to ask for help in cubecartforums.org

Jason

Guest tomal2k

another slow way to do this [without changing any code] will be add product as normal process. since the file is animated the thumb is saved as gif aswell. wht i did is located the file on server and resized my original file according to that thumb size and over written the file. example can be seen here.

cat view

prod view

cheers

Hi Tom

Thanks for your reply.

My animated gifs are at 100x100px and my thumbnails are also set at 100x100px therefore why would i need to make the original file bigger?

This is the process i have been doing.

Upload via ftp the gif original picture to my uploads folder.

Then in CC3 admin > general settings i have 100px for thumbs.

I then go to the product and add product > browse for existing file > click on the original file i uploaded via ftp and then save.

When i save and check my online store i see the original in the individual product page animated :) but the latest products thumb is not animated at all :)

So not sure.....

Antz :)

another slow way to do this [without changing any code] will be add product as normal process. since the file is animated the thumb is saved as gif aswell. wht i did is located the file on server and resized my original file according to that thumb size and over written the file. example can be seen here.

cat view

prod view

cheers

Hi Fluffy

Sorry, but where is your previous post? i'm lost here :)

Thanks

Make sure the thumbnails you're uploading are animated.

On my previous post, I was talking about overwriting the automatically generated thumbnail already on the server.

<<CubeCart Directory>>/images/uploads/thumbs

I believe the way you're doing still uses the GD2 processing.

I could be wrong, let me know if I am anyone.

OK STOP EVERYONE!

I got it WORKING!!!! yooohoooooo!!!!!!

Thanks, thanks thanks soooooo much!!!!!

OMG i've been at it for hours !!!!!

Ok - this is what i did......

Uploaded my animated gif picture to my uploads folder.

Then i copied that same picture into my thumbs folder.

Then i renamed my gif picture to show thumb_name.gif

Then - i refreshed my browser and UUUWHOOOO!!!!! its animated :)

Thanks soooooo much! i love this forum!

Thanks

Antz :) :)

Hi again :)

Ok - it all works fine....

One question though.....

Considering i'm doing this manually with the thumbs.... would i need to create two files? the original for the individual product page say 100x100px and then create another file for the thumbs such as 75x75px?????

I can't seem to make the changes through CC3 admin.

Cheers

All Fixed! thank-you all :)