Javascript for copyright?

Hi

Does cubecart support javascript for all products?

I want to write a javascript code to protect my pictures? I'm using the copyright watermarks but i've also been told that i cna use Java Script to stop the download of the graphics. Will Cubecart support this kind of thing?

Please let me know

Thanks

Andrea :)

My New Project

I've had problems with Javascript on the editor before.

I really can't recommend using Javascript to protect images - anyone wanting to use your images has a wide range of options, from Disabling Javascript, to viewing their Internet Cache, or viewing the page source and downloading images directly.

Disabling right-click will not stop this.

There are better ways to protect images. There is a very good 3rd party mod to watermark images, which which is done at the server end - so your visitors never get a "clean" version unless they purchase.

However, if you're selling Animated GIFs (as your prev post?), this will not work, as it uses the GD Library and this will not work with animated gifs.

If this mod is of interest, you can find it at cubecartforums.org

I can't think is a decent way to protect animated gifs - you could watermark each animation yourself, but for many products it will take too long.

I'll think about your previous post, re:Animated gif thumbnails, and post tomorrow evening.

Jason

Thanks Vokf once again :)

Yes i soooo need a fix for my other post!

Anyways, thank-you for clearing this up for me.

To implement the watermarks on animations is quite easy and already done so there is no issues there. The only problem i can see as i'm quite new to all of this... is that when someone purchases an animation and then puts it on their website it can be stolen by someone else no? therefore if i sold you an animation and you put it on your site then someone can just come along and take it no? therefore there would be no reason for ppl to purchase off me anymore no?

mmmm, sorry for the silly questions,,,,, its a whole new ball game for me :)

Thanks again

Cheers

Andrea :)

I've had problems with Javascript on the editor before.

I really can't recommend using Javascript to protect images - anyone wanting to use your images has a wide range of options, from Disabling Javascript, to viewing their Internet Cache, or viewing the page source and downloading images directly.

Disabling right-click will not stop this.

There are better ways to protect images. There is a very good 3rd party mod to watermark images, which which is done at the server end - so your visitors never get a "clean" version unless they purchase.

However, if you're selling Animated GIFs (as your prev post?), this will not work, as it uses the GD Library and this will not work with animated gifs.

If this mod is of interest, you can find it at cubecartforums.org

I can't think is a decent way to protect animated gifs - you could watermark each animation yourself, but for many products it will take too long.

I'll think about your previous post, re:Animated gif thumbnails, and post tomorrow evening.

Jason

Guest tomal2k

copyright with images has always been a gamble. but if you look up sites that do sell high res image and animations they are not out of business. your licence while purchasing should clearly specify the Terms and condition to use. once a product goes out to a customer particularly digital [in any form] items are very hard to control no matter what you do. i would suggest just use a watermark mod for you initial images [ to save time but you can continue using watermarking them, trust me i've been there it is painful]. as per product make a terms to use doc file which is provided with the final download stating copyright issue, generally customer wont give the file to others and if they make change on the file to suit there site graphics that should prevent copying images or at least make it harder to re use. Hope this info is helpful.

[by the way there is mod that supports watermarking jpg and gif by .htasccess] visit my site to see 8-) one file watermarks all my images i luv it.

Thanks Tom

The watermarking is the easy part for me as i apply them whilst i'm doing the animation.

I guess i would need to find a good terms and conditions that would apply to digital downloads relating to animations, logos, banners etc. copyright issues etc.

Thanks anyways, for your reply.

Cheers

Antz :)

copyright with images has always been a gamble. but if you look up sites that do sell high res image and animations they are not out of business. your licence while purchasing should clearly specify the Terms and condition to use. once a product goes out to a customer particularly digital [in any form] items are very hard to control no matter what you do. i would suggest just use a watermark mod for you initial images [ to save time but you can continue using watermarking them, trust me i've been there it is painful]. as per product make a terms to use doc file which is provided with the final download stating copyright issue, generally customer wont give the file to others and if they make change on the file to suit there site graphics that should prevent copying images or at least make it harder to re use. Hope this info is helpful.

[by the way there is mod that supports watermarking jpg and gif by .htasccess] visit my site to see 8-) one file watermarks all my images i luv it.