domain name system?

Guest MxBe Ltd

Guest MxBe Ltd

How would I go about adding a purchase a domain name category that will check to see if the domain name is available and add it to the cart? And also have the option to transfer there domain name.

I have seen hosting websites in the testimonies area that do this?

Guest proprod

As far as HOW you do that, not sure. But to sell domain names, you must be ICANN accredited. I'm sure you know this, but thought I'd mention it :)

How would I go about adding a purchase a domain name category that will check to see if the domain name is available and add it to the cart? And also have the option to transfer there domain name.

I have seen hosting websites in the testimonies area that do this?

Guest EverythingWeb

But to sell domain names, you must be ICANN accredited.

Pardon? I'm pretty sure that a lot of those out there selling domains have not been through the cost and time implications of becoming ICANN accredited, but rather have left this to the 'big boys' like GoDaddy, Enom etc etc, and then Resell the domains from those companies.

There's only 12 - yes 12 - ICANN-Accredited registrars based in the United Kingdom, yet probably 500x this amount of companies selling domains.

To the OP; there are a ton of WHOIS scripts available on the internet. Finding one and integrating into your site may be more time consuming, but is certainly possible. If you want to go *full automation* ie; customer orders & pays for domain, and you want it auto-registering, then you'll need to look at a billing system such as Modernbill, AWBS or WHMCS, but the initial investment may be better spent in doing them manually and getting a customer base or reputation built up. Just keep a record somewhere of when to charge renewals. :)

Guest Brivtech

Be aware that some of these scripts make use of various server ports, which in some cases are blocked by some hosting companies as they are seen as potnetial security holes. If you need to purchase one of these scripts, make sure you either get a money back guarantee, or can test it ON YOUR OWN SERVER before parting with your money.

I speak from experience! :)

Guest MxBe Ltd

Ok that’s great I will just add an extra box at the payment area under add comment. And let them check the domain name on the main page.

Thanks

Guest Brivtech

Also add a disclaimer to cover yourself that availability can't be guaranteed. There is a possibility by the time a customer places the order for a domain, and you process it, the domain could already be taken, and that the registry data had not yet showed this up.

If you're UK Based, and this is important, become a Nominet Tag holder.

I've a friend that is a tag holder and can register/edit domains via SSH to the Nominet Automation server.

The costs per domain are as cheap as all the big players get.

Its still fairly pricey about £200pa, but unless you're looking to have 100's of domains & customers, doing it manually through a 3rd party service (godaddy/enom etc) will require less investment.

A PHP WHOIS script coupled with a "Text Field" for product mod and some glue code should be able to get away from asking the customer to add a comment or place the domain automatically into the comment field..

Jason

Guest EverythingWeb

You can query the Nominet WHOIS server, within reason, without being a Nominet Tag Holder. There are companies out there who provide low-cost *.uk domain registration with an API to connect some popular software carts to.

Being a Nominet Tag Holder is one thing, this allows you to register domains at a cost of £80+vat using the Automaton, however being a Member allows you access to the discounted domain rate. This however costs £400+vat Joining fee plus £100+vat/year membership.

To be honest, for the investment, you have to be doing a fair few domains to make it worth while, considering you can pickup *.uk domains from £6 upwards, retail. :)

Guest proprod

Ahh, yes of course you are right :) This accounts for the absolutely horrible customer service too I would imagine.

But to sell domain names, you must be ICANN accredited.

Pardon? I'm pretty sure that a lot of those out there selling domains have not been through the cost and time implications of becoming ICANN accredited, but rather have left this to the 'big boys' like GoDaddy, Enom etc etc, and then Resell the domains from those companies.

Guest EverythingWeb

Luckily, we only 'talk' to eNom on an API level, which means registers, renews, transfers, changes etc all get done automatically. The only time we ever needed to contact them was to release *.uk domains to our Nominet TAG when we set that up a couple of years ago. Support from eNom has gone downhill recently, that's for sure. But considering that the last time I had to contact them myself was about 6 months ago, on the whole, it doesn't really worry me. Ultimately, I can always pick up the phone and speak to them. :P

Providing customers domains are getting dealt with, we're taking the money, paying the money and keeping a bit for ourselves, I'm happy! :)