Licensing - Encrypting source code

Guest Brivtech

Guest Brivtech

I'm considering using ioncube php encoder to encode an entire CC store. Within that code is a series of modifications to tweak the performance/functionaity to my customers' requirements.

In most cases, I control the hosting, and customers don't need to access the source code, but in a few other cases, the customers insist that the code is dropped into their servers.

Obviously I want to protect the modifications I have made to the code, and also the accelerated runtime performance interests me a lot, and some customer applications are quite intensive. So, there's 2 main reasons for wanting to do this:

- Obfuscation of code in browser

- Improved performance

- There's also some other features of interest, such as locking files to specific IP addresses / server names

These stores would include copyright removal keys, but I understand from the licensing that copyright must be left in the source code. I have no problem with that, but what happens when that source code becomes compiled, and the copyright information is no longer readable? Does this then become a copyright license violation? Technically the copyright is still there, but the point that it would be impossible to read it, apart from in the original pre-compiled files suggests it could be interpreted otherwise. If I have the pre-compiled filed on record, does this then satisfy the fact that the copyrights in the code are retained?

Some further clarification please. :o