What is the future of version 3? Future updates?

Guest spanishben

Guest spanishben

I have just spent days getting my cubecart v 3.17 customised to my liking and now see v 4 has just been released. I would like to know what the future holds for v3 and how important it is for me to upgrade to 4. Will version 3 still receive security updates?

I know that when I make the jump to v4 I will need another few days to get it customised again, and I'd rather not do that right now - is there any harm in staying with v3 for a while? It's not clear whether both the free v3 and v4 will continue to be available and updated side by side... any more info on all this would be great.

My understanding is the V3 will continue to receive security updates. If you are looking for additional features I suspect many developers will continue to write 3rd party modifications for V3.

Guest Brivtech

Version 3 will continue to be supported and developed as a continual release. Here's how they want it to work:

CC3 - It's a freebie, and you can get copyright removal if you want for a small fee. It has reasonable functionality, so is an ideal starting point for anyone wanting to set up a new store.

CC4 - Has various bells and whistles, with more focus on further development. As a result, it's a commercial product, and the copyright removal is again optional. This is for anyone who either wants to start a system that is more feature packed, or upgrade from a CC3 (Why? Because of the additional features I suppose).

Check out the feature comparison on the home page, and make your mind up which is for you. Personally speaking, I'm migrating all my stores to CC4. It saves me loads of hassle with updating software that's been heavily modded with third party modifications whenever an update is released, as with CC4 many such modifications are programmed in as part of the core.

There's no harm with continuing with CC3, and if you do decide to make the move, there's always the 14 day free trial version so you can play around with it some.

Personally speaking, I'm migrating all my stores to CC4. It saves me loads of hassle with updating software that's been heavily modded with third party modifications whenever an update is released, as with CC4 many such modifications are programmed in as part of the core.

I guess it depends how comfortable people are with upgrading - especially heavily modded stores.

As for software updates, I am sure there will still be modifications added so you are back to the same position of upgrading where changes have been made to the code :wacko:

Guest Brivtech

As for software updates, I am sure there will still be modifications added so you are back to the same position of upgrading where changes have been made to the code :(

Well, my PHP has improved enough where I'm writing all my own mods now, and as I can document the code and changes, it's easier to see the changed files, and re-apply parts of the mods as appropriate. One of the problems with other people's mods is you don't always understand how they work, and how a code change may or may not affect it working properly.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Fuzquia

To be honest I am amazed there is no upgrade fee for people who have already shelled out on the license removal key? (Or am I wrong?)

I appreciate the fact that v3 was a freebie, however the license key was not! I have never known of any software the requires you to pay for a new license each and every time you want to upgrade?

Is this the way cubecart will be in the future? So each time we want to upgrade we have to pay full price for the software and full price for the license?

I am wrong aren't I???

With CubeCart, there is a difference between the "license fee" and the "copyright removal fee". They are not the same thing.

With CC3, the 'license' was free, and the copyright removal was about $90.

With CC4, the 'license' is about $130 and the copyright removal is the same $90, however, you can get both together for around $180.

To upgrade from CC3 to CC4, you only need to pay for the CC4 license and NOT the copyright removal fee, which in effect, is an upgrade price.

It's a bit non-standard, but very flexible.

Guest Fuzquia

Phew!!! I knew I must be wrong!

I just seen the table on the cubecart homepage that states each individual charge. And there I thought my wonderful life with cubecart was coming to an end!

Thankfully I was wrong!

To upgrade from CC3 to CC4, you only need to pay for the CC4 license and NOT the copyright removal fee, which in effect, is an upgrade price.

I also did not realize that. I'm running V3.0.15 and thought I'd destroy my existing store trying to upgrade, so I was going to start a new store w/ V4. I paid the $180, then decided it was too much $$ and asked for a refund (which I rec'd no problem).

I looked into a different open source shopping cart and was going to use that for my new store. I was not aware that I didn't have to pay for the copyright removal fee.

Sooooooo. . . if I already 'bought' V3, how much is V4?