Problem with Paypal gateway and using PayPal Account

fairview

I am configuring the PayPal IPN gateway for a cubecart 3.17 installation. all works fine with a credit card payment, however when trying to use my PayPal account to pay, after logging into my paypal account I get directed to an almost blank page that says "click to retry" or "return to homepage" (which is paypal's homepage....). Sounds like a paypal problem, but they think it has to do with the form Cubecart is using to transfer the order data.

If I proceed with a credit card checkout, and after filling in that information elect to go to my PayPal account, all is fine. In other words, I have filled out the form with address etc to use the credit card, and when Paypal says "we see that you have a paypal account, do you want to use it?" I say yes and then it all works just fine.

I notice that when I use a credit card, I need to fill in the state - everything else is filled in for me.

This is a comment I got back from the PayPal developers forum (from the moderator) -

"The blank, click here to retry error page would show up is the information being passed to PayPal is either missing a parameter or the value of the parameter is no longer recognized."

Anyone else with this problem? and are there any ideas how to solve?

I then tested a store I installed 1 month ago - same problem!! (3.16).

Need help desparately!

Thanks in advance.

*********** THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT - RESOLUTION and NEED FOR CODING CHANGE ************

PayPal made some changes recently and the state code needs to be passed in the us postal format of PA or NJ.... Cubecart's registration doesn't require the customer to register in this way - they can say pa or penna or pennsylvania.....

I needed to change the registration form on all of my stores (7) to require registration the correct way - and then needed to edit the database for all customers so that their state was entered the correct way.

Everyone using PayPal must have the same problem!! Just wanted you all to know!!

********************************************************************************

Edited by fairview

I have figured out the problem.... if Cubecart tries to pass the state code to PayPal as "pa" instead of "PA" for example, PayPal doesn't work with PayPal accounts. If the user adds the state in the credit card area, where they are forced to choose from a drop down list, and thus get "PA", the PayPal account will work.

So my question is: how can I force Cubecart to pass on the state in the correct format, instead of the format the customer uses during registration?

Must be in assigning the variable for the form, but I can't find where that happens.

Any help is appreciated.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

has anyone found a solution to this??

sorry it took so long to reply - on all my CubeCart installations I now force the state to capital letters on the registration page (in your styleTemplate folder, edit the reg.tpl file) with this code:

<input name="county" type="text" onBlur="this.value=this.value.toUpperCase()" class="textbox" id="county" size="2" value="{VAL_COUNTY}" tabindex="10" />

has solved the problem for me.

• 3 months later...

Nice hack, Fairview, but just in case someone isn't real up on coding....

You can just add the blur code in bold to force it to all caps. If you use the full line of code fairview has pasted, it will restrict your state field to 2 characters ONLY which might cause problems if you take international orders!