v4.1 / v4.2 release expectations

Guest vp-ftv

Yes all issues have been raised via the bug tracker, as they are issues that affect us all rather than individual install issues.

Just looking at the dev blog their is no update and no visible roadmap. So for curiositys sake I am looking for a date and expected features to pencilled in.

I was indeed referring to 4.1, not 4.01, and 4.2 as these are two version number mentioned on bug reports.

Guest Brivtech

These releases are planned and will give added functionality. The developers are concentrating on getting everyone settled in with 4.0.1, making sure that is working perfectly before progressing with later releases, so I wouldn't hold your breath for the short-term future.

It would be nice if the beta blog could be updated to this effect, and as they are known, start hinting on some of the later released features that we're to expect, even if at present, some of these are entirely conceptual.

It would be nice if the beta blog could be updated to this effect, and as they are known, start hinting on some of the later released features that we're to expect, even if at present, some of these are entirely conceptual.

I agree. Even if just a new posting every couple of days to let us know what the position is, what they are thinking and planning, etc for the future :)

Guest Brivtech

That said, I do remember reading somewhere that Martin wanted to keep some of these features under his hat, as they were quite profound, and he didn't want competitors to know about them until they were near the end of development. I can understand that position.

Aside from the guess work of forum members, that the Bug Reports issued are feature requests or additional functionality when will CubeCart 4.1, or 4.2 be released as I will not be using CubeCart until the hideous duplicate content bugs are fixed that surround the review system and the SEO Urls.

So a reply from the developers would be much appreciated.

vp-ftv, I'll give you a bit of a lesson on versioning. 4.1.0 will NOT be worked on until there are no longer any pending bugs in 4.0.x. There will be a 4.0.2 (should be sometime next week) with many bug fixes. If there are still issues, then 4.0.3 will be released.....and so on and so forth. Once the 4.0.x tree is completely stable and bug-free, the development team will work on 4.1.x and above.

Also as Brivtech said, there are a LOT of cool things coming down the pike that will not be made public until they are nearing release. There's just no reason to tip your hat and show your hand to the competition before you're ready to hit the market.

Part of the problem is that it is next to impossible to test for every scenario that we'll see in real-world usage. Even beta testing only does so much. When you have so many people doing so many different things, it's far too easy to miss little issues. If you've never written a large software package, then you will likely not really understand this. Trust me when I say that no matter how much in-house and beta testing you do, you WILL have problems when release time rolls around.

:)

no matter how much in-house and beta testing you do, you WILL have problems when release time rolls around.

And the same applies to even the biggest software firms who release patches quickly after they release a new product!

Look how quickly Microsoft release a new patch when they release a new version of windows :)