Authorize.net AIM/SIM ?

Guest supernix

AIM - process payments directly on your site.

SIM - pass the customer over to the Authorize.net site for payment (similar to PayPal)

AIM is 'better' in that it helps to increase customer trust in you and your site. But it also requires an SSL cert installed on your site, which has other benefits besides.

SSL certs can be purchased for as little as $25 (GoDaddy resellers) and work just fine as long as they are installed correctly. I have one of these on one of my sites and have had no problems with it other than an extra step during installation.

Guest supernix

I never tried AIM so I was thinking that was the way it worked just not sure.

I like SIM myself because like PayPal the information is passed over to the processor on their servers. Which is more secure since one it is not shared hosting and two they are dedicated servers so they have better ability to security harden the servers against hacking.

And again I would have to purchase a SSL certificate and that is just more money I would have to shell out.

As it is I am going to be hard pressed to come up with the $129 for the cart.

AIM is better because if one you have a SSL certificate it generates trust increasing sales because people are more apt to whip out their credit cards

and two it keeps them on your site which again generates trust because you took the extra steps to become "legitimate"

and three all information is encrypted via the SSL and the users credit card info is not kept in your database and authnet still still carries the brunt of the security

four having SSl not only encrypts the credit card transaction but also any personal or financial information passing between your customers and your server like on registration and login and thru the checkout process