Category and Sub Category assistance needed please?

Guest luckyphil

Guest luckyphil

Hi all, came across cubecart yesterday, looked good, downloaded and installed version 4 with the 14 day trial and all has been good so far.

I've been feeling my way around and one thing that I am having an issue with is regarding categories and subcats.

I selected add category, entered the category details and left the drop down box on top level and created the main category and then did the same again but changed the drop down box to the previous category that had been created to create a sub category.

Now I've done this several times creating subcats to try to assess how the info was going to display on the homepage and to get a feel for how the cart was going to look and how user friendly it was going to be.

Now if I select view categories I see one main category that shows and there is also /lighting in this case under directory and the sub cats are there. Which all seems fine.

The problem that I have is that I have created other sub categories that I can't view unless I go to View Products and they appear under Update Prices By Category. They appear like this:

/lights/

/lights/lighting

/lighting

/lighting/ford

/lighting/ford/un explorer

The only one that I need to keep is the last one, where do I delete them? I'm sure its staring me right in the face, but I just can't see it!

Also on the home page I can't select three deep in the category menu via the dhtml tree!

Thanks for any help in advance

Phil

Guest luckyphil

Click view categories

then click the name of of your top level category

which then shows the sub categories

then edit or DELETE the category

pretty slick no?

Hi Kinetic, thanks for the reply and yes, it would be slick if they showed up under view categories!

But the problem is that they do not show up under view categories, they only show up in the drop down box in view products under update prices by category.

Phil

well that is strange...

are you running 4.0.1?

if not you should be

can you take a screen shot of your view categories?

are you on a linux or windoze based server?Im running 4.0.1 for a client of mine and it has no issues

with view categories

also another question for you was this install done via fantastico by any chance?

(I never install anything via fantastico because it will almost invariably cause errors always best to get the latest download direct from Cubecart...)

Guest luckyphil

well that is strange...

are you running 4.0.1?

if not you should be

can you take a screen shot of your view categories?

are you on a linux or windoze based server?Im running 4.0.1 for a client of mine and it has no issues

with view categories

also another question for you was this install done via fantastico by any chance?

(I never install anything via fantastico because it will almost invariably cause errors always best to get the latest download direct from Cubecart...)

Hi Kinetic,

Thanks again for the reply.

It is 4.0.1. and on a linux.

it was a fresh manual install, not via fantastico.

Unfortunately, as much as I appreciate your assistance, I'm not going to pursue cubecart any further at this time, I just don't have the time to spare. I've messed about with osscommerce for a week and I thought that if I paid a couple of hundred dollars or whatever it is for cubecart it would just be a matter of customization but that's not the case.

Thanks again Kinetic for taking the time to reply.

Phil