Setting Up Test Server

Guest mwham

I would like to have a testing server but I'm running into all kinds of trouble. I have CubeCart 3 installed on my main server, databases, everything there. Running SSL. I have my test server totally separate outside my DMZ network, on the local network. I'm doing all the hosting so I have full access to everything. I'm looking for what should be a very common setup for staged websites.

Desire: www.myserver.com/store is my production store

www.mysandbox.com/store is my test store.

Difficulty: importing database into sandbox is retaining the SSL path for the production store and just forwards to back to www.myserver.com/store. I can't find a way to change the name to use www.mysandbox.com. This is not a problem with my global.inc.php file, I have it configured to match everyone on the sandbox.

Request: a walk through on how the recommended setup for a testing server is achieved.

Attempted Work Around: I tried to setup the testsite on my production server in the new path www.myserver.com/store/teststore. I copied the entire directory structure of /var/www/store into /var/www/store/test. I updated my global.inc.php. I made a copy of the database into cubecartdatabase_test. This resulted in a second copy of the site, an actual test area. BUT, when I go to www.myserver.com/store/teststore/admin I just get forwarded back to www.myserver.com/store/admin...the primary admin area. So this resulted in no way for me to be able to edit the test store.

TIA for any help

-mwh