Difference Between Gateways (newbie)

Guest coopersita

Guest coopersita

Hi,

I couldn't find anything in the documentation, and I'm not that familiar with paypal. I'm having a hard time understanding the difference between the 3 paypal gateways, and which one should I choose...

- Direct Payment gives me a form when chosen asking for my credit card info (which is nice, but there is no option to enter a paypal email and pass). I haven't tried entering an actual CC number, so I don't know if it actually works.

- Standard and IPN transfers me to the paypal, showing the right amount in the total (just like a buy now button).

- Express Checkout sends me to paypal, but it doesn't show what or how much things cost, like it doesn't receive the info of what is being bought.

Why have 3 different gateways? When would you use each one?

It really comes down to budget..

You appear to have a good feel for how each one works.

PayPal Standard & IPN are commonly used to quickly start trading. No set-up fee, only the only charges are transaction ones - so should be easy to handle.

Store owners can do some basic customisation of the Payment screen (using their logo, and colour scheme).

I think the others will require a SSL cert and a Merchant account. Both incurr additional costs - and Direct Payment is good for keeping people on your site.

I'm not sure why people would want PayPal Express...

Some store owners will have trouble getting a Merchant account (bad credit, no trading history etc), and this is another reason why they would chose Standard & IPN.

The IPN version will inform the store that the payment was successful and automatically change the order status to "processing". PayPal standard will leave the status at "Pending" and the store owner will have to check that Payment was successful.

Jason