Scared To Upgrade!

Guest zodiac73

Guest zodiac73

Hi,

I have had a few outages with my site recently of one type or another and will surely have lost sales or created a bad impression so I am more than a little afraid of messing up the whole site by upgrading!

I am currently on version 3.0.15 and in the admin panel it says there are updates available, so can I ask how scarey is it really, what can go wrong (ie what can I mess up!), and if I didn't upgrade what would be the disadvantages or problems with staying on 3.0.15 ?

Thanks in advance for any help with this,

Simon.

Guest degsey69

It is quite easy to upgrade from 3.015 to 3.017

a. Take a FULL backup of the database and site files.

b. Upload every file from the uploads folder over your existing files

with exception to the ones listed below:

includes/global.inc.php

install/

language/*/home.inc.php

There is no upgrade script to run and so long as there is no modifications your version will upgrade.

Also if you have done any modifications to your skin there is no need to upgrade the skins as well thereby preserving the changes.

Degsey

Hi Simon,

I agree with your premise that it can be scary upgrading - and in my experience the additional features are often not worth the hassle.

Having said that I would suggest upgrading from 3015 to 3016 since there is a security issue with 3015 which is fixed in 3016.

If you go to the downloads section and click on the various zip files you will see a list of fixed bugs and additional features for each version. Check these to see if you need them or are important to you.

If you upgrade from 3015 to 3016 then there is a painless upgrade path here: http://www.cubecart.com/site/forums/index....showtopic=27418

But as said before backup and when you have a backup, backup again. And make sure you backup to a different physical drive.

Richard

Guest zodiac73

I'm going to make sure I have done the backups properly first then, how can you check your backups to see that they are right? After a server crash my host restored to an older back up recently and they are supposed to know what they are doing!! You see why doing this stuff myself as a non-expert scares me now?

;)

It is quite easy to upgrade from 3.015 to 3.017

a. Take a FULL backup of the database and site files.

b. Upload every file from the uploads folder over your existing files

with exception to the ones listed below:

includes/global.inc.php

install/

language/*/home.inc.php

There is no upgrade script to run and so long as there is no modifications your version will upgrade.

Also if you have done any modifications to your skin there is no need to upgrade the skins as well thereby preserving the changes.

Degsey

Why are those in there if you are not supposed to upload them?

• 4 months later...
Guest EverythingWeb

yes, overwriting your global.inc.php file would mean that firstly the files wouldn't be able to connect to the database