Web Graphics

Wondering if anyone here may be able to help me....

I'm quite new to photoshop and managed to do a button style.... i've added font... but the font looks completely different "pixelated" when i add it to a web page.

Does anyone know why my fonts behave like this?

Here is the link and the "MORE" buttons i'm talking about.... THE PROBLEMO

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Antz :errm:

Guest webicon

If it is like that all along on your screen- Thats caused by Aliasing the font...

You need to set up anti-alising on the text which will 'smooth' the edges on the font....

Aliasing is a useful tool - because say on Verdana at size 9 the font will look fine with aliasing but try at size 6 and it will look blured - turn off aliasing and you get a 'crisp' - albeit 'pixelstyle' clear font...

Anyway have a play with that tool (in character/style palette as I remember) and that should resolve your issues...

EDIT: If however it only happens when you 'save for web' - then I would suggest that it is caused by limiting the colour palette options when you save for web (for example if you save as a two colour gif you will only get white and one other colour - whereas in reality for a white to smooth into another colour there are probably about 20 colours. Try setting the gif palette option to have 128 colours or 256 colour instead....

If the filesize fopr a gif is too big or you use too many colours - save as a jpg instead....

If it is like that all along on your screen- Thats caused by Aliasing the font...

You need to set up anti-alising on the text which will 'smooth' the edges on the font....

Alising is a useful tool - because say on Verdana at size 9 the font will look fine with aliasing but try at size 6 and it will look blured - turn off aliasing and you get a 'crisp' - albeit 'pixelstyle' clear font...

Anyway have a play with that tool (in character/style palette as I remember) and that should resolve your issues...

EDIT: If however it only happens when you 'save for web' - then I would suggest that it is caused by limiting the colour palette options when you save for web (for example if you save as a two colour gif you will only get white and one other colour - whereas in reality for a white to smooth into another colour there are probably about 20 colours. Try setting the gif palette option to have 128 colours or 256 colour instead....

Ummmm, except i just checked and i have anti-aliasing set to none. Mind you i'm working on Trebuschet and it doesn't make a difference... :errm:

And Aliasing should be ON - Dont know if that version has options of 'crisp', 'smooth' and 'strong' ??

Ok - well i had a look when i right clicked and the options it gives me is anti-alias = none is ticked and no others are ticked....

But i have tried to have the others on and it doesn't make a difference?

Can i upload the original here so you can see what i mean?

Guest webicon

please do... Also can you try a test where when you save to web you save as a jpg to see if that makes a difference...

I'm just wondering if perhaps on a gif you have web safe colours enabled when saving...

Ok here it is,,, pls don't laugh.... i'm learning this program quite slowly as i've been busy with Cube!!!!

Also i've been trying to get it with a radial gradient but have tried for about a week now and couldn't do it, even though i've tried to understand the tutorials on google.

Antz :errm:

please do... Also can you try a test where when you save to web you save as a jpg to see if that makes a difference...

I'm just wondering if perhaps on a gif you have web safe colours enabled when saving...

ok will change the gif to jpg and save....

I'm using joomla to test all my stores..... not sure if they are showing in the live one yet.. will check also.

Antz

Guest webicon

Ok - It is as i thought and an issue with Anti - aliasing - When I opened it up it said aliasing was off . I've changed to smoothe. (attached - i hope it opens for you as i am on photoshop CS3 which is like 5 versions after photoshop 6 - fingers crossed). I've also saved final gif so that you can see that it does save out OK...

On a side not - I dont know that Trebuchet is the best font as this size - perhaps a century gothic would appear smoother while be in-keeping with the style of the site...

test.zip

Ok - It is as i thought and an issue with Anti - aliasing - When I opened it up it said aliasing was off . I've changed to smoothe. (attached - i hope it opens for you as i am on photoshop CS3 which is like 5 versions after photoshop 6 - fingers crossed). I've also saved final gif so that you can see that it does save out OK...

Aghhh, its telling me it won't open because i don't have enough ram????? strangely enough i have 1GB

So the anti-aliasing was off,,,,, i don't see an option to turn it on though :errm:

Guest webicon

Highlight the text - Rightclick.

If there is a tick next to something - click it again to untick it and see if that works...

Yeah Adobe i quite big on forcing customers to upgrade - i kinda figured it may not open...

Highlight the text - Rightclick.

If there is a tick next to something - click it again to untick it and see if that works...

Yeah Adobe i quite big on forcing customers to upgrade - i kinda figured it may not open...

I do have the same photoshop as you,,,, but it takes up a lot of room on my pc,,,,, im no prof thats why i stuck with the no.6 :errm:

Ummm, yes i think to turn it back on i have to click either anti-alias crisp, anti-alias strong and anti-alias smooth..... ummm which one do i click on?

Thanks

Antz

Guest webicon

Found this :

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/photoshop/l/bllps506d.htm

shows how to set aliasing in photoshop 6 version... :errm:

Hope this helps...

Ummm, yes i think to turn it back on i have to click either anti-alias crisp, anti-alias strong and anti-alias smooth..... ummm which one do i click on?

Thanks

Antz

I tend to go for 'crisp' at that size - but toggle between and see what looks better. I chose 'Smoothe' for that font because it has sharp edges..