Paypal Direct Question

Okay, with the volume of orders I now get, i'm thinking about auto processing some of my credit card transactions but not sure how to go about this. I have a paypal websites payment pro account and currently use the mals module to store my cards and then review and manually process them using Paypal's virtual terminal.

Am I correct in thinking that activating the Paypal Direct module will let a customer input their card information and have paypal process that card immediately just as if I had run it thru virtual terminal? if so, can someone write dummy instructions for setting this up. I cannot follow the API stuff and not sure what I need to do to generate an api certificate, etc.

Also, as I use 1 paypal account for my 11 stores, do I have to have the API certificate in a central location? or one in each folder? What happens with the return link thing? I currently have it return every cart to my company blog site rather than the confirmation page but not sure about this???

Dummy instructions appreciated - i really am lost when it comes to API, SSL and that sort of thing :(