Mp3 Online Music Store

Guest militarymusic

Guest militarymusic

Has anyone ever tried to do this? I want to sell Mp3s and physical CDs with my store. The problem is i have almost 6k tracks to offer and I have never seen a shopping cart able to handle this and do exactly what i need it to.

Has anyone seen an online mp3 store using cubecart? If so please send me a link so that i can check it out!

Thanks,

MM

CubeCart won't have any problem with the number of products you want to offer. Actually, most carts that I've tried would be able to do this.

What I've heard and seen with most online stores dealing with MP3s is that they all want a custom interface that is not provided by any cart "out of the box". There are several mods available for CubeCart that enhance it's ability to provide samples and deal with multiple formats of each product (MP3, AAC, OGG, etc.) You'll want to check CubeCart.org and CubeCartForums.org for the mods.

• 2 years later...
Guest raporia

ive not yet found a working solution to this problem as ive only found 1 mod and that doesnt work and the mod creators dont seem to be able to fix it become very ignorant and dont refund your money

CubeCart won't have any problem with the number of products you want to offer. Actually, most carts that I've tried would be able to do this.

What I've heard and seen with most online stores dealing with MP3s is that they all want a custom interface that is not provided by any cart "out of the box". There are several mods available for CubeCart that enhance it's ability to provide samples and deal with multiple formats of each product (MP3, AAC, OGG, etc.) You'll want to check CubeCart.org and CubeCartForums.org for the mods.

I'm a wedding DJ (as well as CC user/developer). 6K tracks @320Kbps MP3 will need at least 60GB.

Its fairly normal to have a "low quality" snippet available too. It would also be possible to use the high-quality MP3 file, and only stream the 1st (approx) 30 seconds (based on CBR 320Kbps would be just over 1MB).

As each product has a boolean variable for physical (CD) or download (MP3), CubeCart could fairly easily provide a sample buy using a flash mp3 player pointing at php code that presents the correct snippet. The code could either use a different template, or simply add the flash player if the product is a download - this is fairly simple.

There is PHP code to extract ID3 tags, and with some work, it would be possible to create your downloadable products automatically (assuming the ID3 tags are fully present on the files)

So, I don't think its "easy", but certainly achievable with the right developer.

All the other bits would work well (ie, download authorisations etc).

You will need a developer to work with you on this. This forum is really intended to discuss the core (un-modified) CubeCart products only, so you will get a better response over at cubecartforums.org

There are many good developers there, and if think about how your store needs to work, you'll get a better response.

As a side note - To be worthwhile, this will probably need a dedicated server.

If you're selling original music (ie songs written and performed by unsigned bands), then no real problems with royalties to licening bodies (MCPS etc).

If you're selling remixes, or music covered by the MCPS (or whoever manages the royaties from music sales in your country), you'll need to apply for a licence, otherwise risk being caught as a pirate.

Hope this helps,

Jason