Web forwarding: Framed or non-framed?

Guest xceejayx

Guest xceejayx

Say i've got a sub domain - subdomain.mydomain.com

I want myotherdomain.com to forward onto this, but i want google to index myotherdomain.com rather than subdomain.mydomain.com

Which method would i use for this? Framed or non framed forwarding?

Guest Brivtech

Firstly, I was using subdomains a lot, so I could share resources like wildcard SSL certificates and save money - I changed all of this when I realised that most search engines treat the subdomain as a separate different domain, so I now avoid subdomains unless it's for an application that doesn't depend on search engine ranking.

Which method would i use for this? Framed or non framed forwarding?

This bit is confusing me - Are you using frames within the web page?

Guest EverythingWeb

I'd steer clear of frames.

Set myotherdomain.com up as an alias/pointer of the subdomain, technically, I'd do this manually by putting an A record in for www.myotherdomain.com and pointing it to the IP of the subdomain, then ensuring Apache recognised myotherdomain.com in the config.

Then, create a htaccess or php file, in the root of the subdomain which checks if it's using subdomain and if so, permanent redirect to myotherdomain.com

I'm just about to shoot out, so sorry for the brief reply, but in essence what I'm saying does make sense (at least to me!!) :on2long:

Guest xceejayx

@Brivtech

Basically my host offers a web forwarding service, and you have to select framed or non framed.

@EverythingWeb

Right, i think i kind of get the jist of that...

so i take it i'd need hosting on "myotherdomain.com" to be able to do that..? currently i just have the domain (which is why i want to forward it onto my domain which does have hosting)

Thanks guys