Application performance

Guest beautyie

Guest beautyie

I've been trading with Cubecart now for about 6 months and the order tables are getting pretty big, the Order Sum tbale now has over 4000 records and ins growing at about 20 per day,

customers has grown to about 3000.

My question is at what point , if any, will cubecart start to hit a wall. I've already had to remove the 'customers who bought this...' feature in CC4 as it had serrious performance issues.

Guest Brivtech

That's right, You should consider talking to your hosting company, and see if moving from shared hosting to dedicated hosting will benefit you - You'll then get the full use of your server's resources, rather than having them shared with a load of other websites. This should improve your performance if your server demand is becoming noticable.

Well done by the way, that's good to hear it's been working well for you.

Guest Rselbo

We're in the same boat :whistle:

We're currently hosted on a VPS and find it needs Apache Web Server rebooting at least daily, usually during peak hours when we have 100+ visitors online at one time.

Our host, 34sp, have told us that it's normal to have to reboot this frequently though were now looking at alternatives like a full dedicated server through other companies.

Guest beautyie

Guys, thanks for your input. at the moment the performance is not an issue, I guess I'm just trying to prepare myself.

The real question I'd like some input on is, does Cubecart have any size limitation in terms of performance, whats the largest store in terms of orders etc that it can easily handle.

We're in the same boat :whistle:

We're currently hosted on a VPS and find it needs Apache Web Server rebooting at least daily, usually during peak hours when we have 100+ visitors online at one time.

Our host, 34sp.com, have told us that it's normal to have to reboot this frequently though were now looking at alternatives like a full dedicated server through other companies.

I used to have to reboot my VPS daily until I moved to one with more RAM resources. 256MB just wasn't enough in my situation, and 512MB has been more than enough. I can also say that a VPS without burstable RAM is a lot more stable than one that allows other users to take over your RAM when you're not using it.

However, I will say that even with more dedicated resources, the "Customers also bought" feature still runs intolerably slow - a full minute and a half to load a product page! This is something that should be run in the background periodically (via cron) and stored in the database for instant retrieval.

The real question I'd like some input on is, does Cubecart have any size limitation in terms of performance, whats the largest store in terms of orders etc that it can easily handle.

For this, the issue is more with MySQL than it is with CubeCart. MySQL can handle huge databases (100MB or more) if the server is configured properly.

ive got a couple clients one with 40,000 products and the other with 8000

and cubecart can handle it easily

but then they are on a server thats not oversold (say like bluehost, host gator ipower)

but are on our server which we limit the number of sites that are hosted to no more than 200

1 clients database is over 100MB and we do NOT use the "Customer also purchased" module for CCv4 as this will considerably slow down your store when you have alot of purchases and customers registered

Kinetic

Guest EverythingWeb

MySQL can handle huge databases (100MB or more)

Blimey! I think even a poorly configured MySQL server would handle 100Mb.

We've got some applications with databases >1Gb and providing the structure of the database is well thought out and executed, you wont have problems.

However, in the context of this thread - everybodies suggestion of disabling Customers also bought is a very good one.

Its something which hopefully Al/Martin will look into at some point. I can think of a 'quick n dirty' "fix" but probably wouldn't be the "best" way.

I recently posted a suggested fix in the bugtracker -- to periodically run an indexing script via cron and store the "also bought" suggestions into the database so that product description pages can be a simple query to the database.

My experience with MySQL is minimal, and I've never tried running a large database, so I appreciate the comments that a 100MB database is relatively small.

Yeah Al and Martin and Sir William need to look into this and cache or run a cron to cache the data.

as the array that can be returned is so huge if there is alot of products, alot of customers and the customers have made alot of purchases

this is why it takes so looong to parse the viewProduct page

and as this could very well turn a single item sale into a multiple item sale with the simple click of a check box on the related products

then clicking the add to cart of the main product being viewed as well as the related product(s) being added to the basket

store owners should be clamoring for a better method for this lovely feature

and with no disrespect to Estelles related products with auto search. Her mod requires the customer to add the main product to basket then click one of the related products and goto that page and then add that product to the cart then back to the originating product to select another product which will not really broker an up sale as people wont want to or wont figure out thats how to do it

and if you have the Jump to cart on add to basket turned on in admin this becomes even more problematic.

So if our wonderful CubeCart brain trust could take a look at this for us Users on 4.1.1 and 4.2 Im sure we would all gladly buy them a pint or two or three or give them a huge round of applause at the very least

Kinetic :wacko: