PHP Version versus Zend Optimizer

Guest Hesperus

Guest Hesperus

My apologies if I missed an existing thread on this subject.

I've successfully installed CubeCart on my personal website to test it, but now I am trying to install it on my company's webhost and I have encountered some problems.

Initially they did not offer Zend or Ioncube. I have asked them to add it and they have replied with this:

I understand from your email that you are requesting Zend Optimizer be enabled.

This has now been done as requested but in doing so the PHP version has been changed to 4.4.1 and the GD support has been removed.

On querying this with the Web Hosting Developers it seems the Zend Optimizer support is only available on PHP 4.4.1.

Now when I go to my site, instead of asking for Zend, it says:

You need to upgrade to PHP Version 5.2.0 or better to use CubeCart. You are currently running PHP Version 4.3.10

Is there a workaround for this, or anything I can ask my webhost about?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Guest Hesperus

Sorry, I ought to have said, they activated Zend after telling me in a previous e-mail that they do not support Ioncube, and would not create or give me access to the directory I would need to install and run it for myself.

Guest EverythingWeb

If they have downgraded PHP from 5 to 4 to get Zend working, and are telling you (and I quote)

Zend Optimizer support is only available on PHP 4.4.1

quite simply, they are telling you a lie. Quite simple.

Zend on PHP5 is the Engine version 2.2.0 and requires a slightly different package to be downloaded and installed by them. If you cant use the runtime loaders for ionCube (which I'm surpriseid if you cant, to be honest) then move host.

A host that says that something isn't possible, when there are literally millions of sites out there running Zend on PHP5, isn't worth their salt. :)

Oh, and just to prove, so you know I'm not making it up: http://www.ew-owl.net/php.php5 :ninja2:

Guest Hesperus

Yeah, this was my thinking. Damn lies. Very dissapointing for a seriously major business host.

Thanks for confirming, your replies and the other threads have been very helpful.

If you cant use the runtime loaders for ionCube (which I'm surpriseid if you cant, to be honest) then move host.

On the subject of Ioncube, the ioncube-loader-helper.php file gave me this message:

Results

The directory set for the extension_dir entry in the php.ini file may not exist, and run time loading will not be possible.

Instructions

Please ask your hosting provider or system administrator to create the directory

/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20020429

ensuring that it is accessible by the web server software. They do not need to restart the server. Then rerun this script. As an alternative, your host could install the Loader in the php.ini file.

My provider was not willing to do this.

Guest Peterson Panel

If you cant use the runtime loaders for ionCube (which I'm surpriseid if you cant, to be honest) then move host.

On the subject of Ioncube, the ioncube-loader-helper.php file gave me this message:

Results

The directory set for the extension_dir entry in the php.ini file may not exist, and run time loading will not be possible.

Instructions

Please ask your hosting provider or system administrator to create the directory

/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20020429

ensuring that it is accessible by the web server software. They do not need to restart the server. Then rerun this script. As an alternative, your host could install the Loader in the php.ini file.

My provider was not willing to do this.

Time to change providers. There are too many decent hosting companies to be stuck with an incompetent organization that doesn't know anything about what it providers.

To make a statement that Zend Optimizer doesn't support PHP5 makes zero sense, being that the two creators of Zend are on authors of PHP with the rest of the PHP Group.

Guest hennaboy

Why bother with stuff like that? they would surely know that the user is going to find out the truth...quick way to lose a customer isnt it....id be straight out the door looking for another host after a blatent lie like that.