New to this

Guest mark54

Guest mark54

Hi there looking to build my web site shop.. so looking for some great tips..

just want to point out I keep getting this when I go to post a question..... :yeahhh:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.63 OpenSSL/0.9.7a mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 PHP/5.2.6 Server at forums.cubecart.com Port 80

Guest Brivtech

Just hit refresh - The forums here are very busy, and the server is often overloaded. I get it as well from time to time.

Guest mark54

thanks.. thought I had done something wrong..

I am looking to ask Mark for a V3 Skin for my site I guess I am better to do it when it's new and not after I have added content?

When I add content or go to change the content I seam to get an error message like this.. any reason why?

I can't do any work till I know it's sorted..

Could not open file of '/usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/making-interiors.co.uk/httpdocs/shop//language/en/home.inc.php' for writing. Try changing the CHMOD value to 0777. Remember to set it back to 0644 afterwards!

Homepage

Guest Brivtech

In version 3, you need to change the permission of the homepage data file. Version 4 is a bit more efficient at doing this automatically.

Change the file permission on: language/en/home.inc.php to 0777, then edit the homepage content, then change the permission on that file back to 0644 (like it says).

By the way, I see you have a double // in the URL path, this may mean you've put an extra one somewhere in the configuration. It may not do any harm now, but could cause unexpected problems later.

With regard to skins - They simply overlay the database, so you can happily create content and fiddle around with the skins later on.

Guest mark54

thanks for that. Am I right in thinking that the skins are as easy as down loading the file saving it.. then dropping it into the skins folder and then when you open up the admin page you will see the standard 3 skins and then the one you down loaded?

is it that simple? I bet it's not :-)

BTW that php 0777 I can't find where I need to edit this.. can you tell me where I go in the admin to do this? thanks alot

Guest Brivtech

The skins are that simple, yes.

As for the file permissions change: you don't do it in admin, you do it through your FTP client.

Guest mark54

RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grrrrrrrr

it's doing it again I have been trying for 3/4hr to post a reply and all I get is this again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

back to the issue

so do i need to go back to the page where I loaded the data base..

like here to edit the info..

Guest Brivtech

I'm getting it as well at the moment - This isn't nornal.

I'm (trying) to let the admin know, so they can sort it. Apologies on their behalf I'm sure.

Guest mark54

Oh thanks anyway.

Really having a hard time of this. Didn't think it would be difficult <_<

I've been ripped off before and I really have to learn the basics to try and get a site up and running. I am looking to do list some basic listing first for one type of product.

Going back to the orginal reply you gave me is this the area I access to alter the files..

OK I am trying to post a screen image so you can see what I am looking at and it keeps coming up with that forbinen screen!!

http: // img.photobucket.com /albums /v17/912uk/help1.jpg ( arr this is the onlyway I can get it to post up if you close up the link it works.. cut and paste it .. it's just a screen shot of the screen i think I need to be at to alter the script you are talking about. nothing else.. PHPmyadmin or some thing?

I am glad it's not me with the forum it was shall we say very frustrating , oh well just one of those things lets hope it's all ok now.. :rolleyes: fresh morning

Guest mark54

V3 I was looking to take on one that has been well used and has lots of fix's

I am abit worried about this now as I have started to work with it I am sure I can do it but really looking at

do I spent £2000 on a system with a local firm that I know will work ( I have already lost £3500+ in the past ) or do I

learn the basic's and start small and in time work at it and then go for a more up market web site and be able to hand it over to some one to do.. once I know there is a market and a small imcome?

is there workshops in Cube cart? I am in Southampton but I do work up as far as East London..lots in Esher and Camberly.

or is there some one who if I come to them I can pay for some tution. I feel if some one shows me the basics' and I have a face to face chat about understanding the set up I can start to get my head round it all.. then I would be more than happy to look for V4..

any one out there? happy to travel with my laptop..

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to this too. I used to have Agoracart, but it was complicated. This was one seems more user friendly. However, is there a program I can use to upload all of my merchandise into the site without spending months entering them one by one?

Joe

Guest estelle

However, is there a program I can use to upload all of my merchandise into the site without spending months entering them one by one?

@Joe - In CubeCart 4 you can import products.

In CubeCart 3 you cannot - please ask over at cubecartforums.org if you want this feature for CubeCart 3.

However, is there a program I can use to upload all of my merchandise into the site without spending months entering them one by one?

@Joe - In CubeCart 4 you can import products.

In CubeCart 3 you cannot - please ask over at cubecartforums.org if you want this feature for CubeCart 3.

I do have Cubecart 3 and the host who set it up said there is a module I can purchase to import all of the product. I sent to the link you provided, but I am not sure which module I need.