301 redirect SEO problem

Guest groove4life

Guest groove4life

I have been using CCv3 with rukimans? SEO mod with great success for a long time, I am now ready to upgrade to CCv4 but I have run into a couple of problems on the way with the new inbuilt SEO functionality.

The problem is that special characters are treated in another way so the SEO url's from CCv3 do not match the new ones from CCv4.

So, I thought that I could just manually 301 redirect all the old URL's to the new url's with the .htaccess file

I set the redirect up like this:

redirect 301 /shop/oldcat/oldprod/prod_1.htm http://www.mywebshop.com/shop/mynewcat/mynewprod/prod_1.htm

The problem is that this does not work as intended, it redirects the link but it is beeing redirected to

http://www.mywebshop.com/shop/mynewcat/mynewprod/prod_1.htm?_a=viewProd&productId=1

Does anyone know how I can setup the 301 redirection so that it does not add the "?_a=viewProd&productId=11" part at the end of the URL with the SEO on?

Any help is greatly appreciated. ;)

• 11 months later...
Guest dazza100

HI

Google has indexed a number of category and product pages with multiple urls as the product title has been changed, which is not the best I wanted to use a 301 redirect to point the old pages to the new page.

The page redirects ok but then adds ?_a=viewProd&productId=1 on the end which defeats the whole object of redirecting the page in the first place.

Thanks for your help!

Darren

With the standard SEO mod in operation, this should not be an issue. You shouldn't need the redirect.

www.mysite.com/my-category/this-category/prod_3.php

Will display the same valid page as...

www.mysite.com/different-url/prod_3.php

Guest dazza100

HI Robsta

Thanks for getting back to me. The page shows fine. But Google has indexed the page multiple times with different urls. And assigned then different page rank - wouldn’t this be classed as duplicate content?

Thanks Again

Darren

• 1 year later...

I have been using CCv3 with rukimans? SEO mod with great success for a long time, I am now ready to upgrade to CCv4 but I have run into a couple of problems on the way with the new inbuilt SEO functionality.

The problem is that special characters are treated in another way so the SEO url's from CCv3 do not match the new ones from CCv4.

So, I thought that I could just manually 301 redirect all the old URL's to the new url's with the .htaccess file

I set the redirect up like this:

redirect 301 /shop/oldcat/oldprod/prod_1.htm http://www.mywebshop.com/shop/mynewcat/mynewprod/prod_1.htm

The problem is that this does not work as intended, it redirects the link but it is beeing redirected to

http://www.mywebshop.com/shop/mynewcat/mynewprod/prod_1.htm?_a=viewProd&productId=1

Does anyone know how I can setup the 301 redirection so that it does not add the "?_a=viewProd&productId=11" part at the end of the URL with the SEO on?

Any help is greatly appreciated. :lol:

Could someone help to solve this please? Thanks!

• 9 months later...
Guest 301Redirector

We're working on an online tool that you may find interesting. It creates 301 redirects automatically for you. You don't need lists of old and new URLs. It's particularly useful if you're running a larger site (such as an online store) where creating redirects by hand would take too much time.

Regards,

Damian

• 11 months later...
Guest CalumMac

Was this issue ever resolved? I'm having the same problem. Redirecting an old URL on an old domain name to a new one adds ?_a=viewProd&productId=11 to the end of the new one. Google has indexed both but because the old URL (now pointing to the new one) has links to it Google is choosing to now rank the URL with the extra code at the end of it.

Does anyone know of some ht access code that would redirect one url to another without it adding anything extra to the URL?

Any help would be awesome.