Yes I am a geek!

LOL, I don't have Facebook either. Second Life is just normally seen as where all the geeks hang out. I do sometimes 'play' on Second Life, but also see it as a business opportunity. I was thinking of building a virtual office for people to meet me and talk about projects, with over 8 million people on it, it's a big market to miss out on. Allot of companies are building 3D environments within Second Life to add to customer experience. Universities have also built virtual campuses for students to attend classes. Research companies test future products. Architects and realators build elaborate buildings and homes for people to approve before they are built in real life. At first look, Second Life appears to be some elaborate 'game,' but it really isn't, it's just another environment to learn, do business, connect with other people, etc You can use it for whatever you want, it has many uses. I think most people think of Second Life as a bunch of silly avatars dancing around, and yes allot of that happens, but for me, watching my avatar dance gets boring really quick. I use it more of a creative outlet to build, learn, interact and maybe make a little money along the way.

Jen

Yes, I do Second Life, facebook, myspace, ipromote and a ton of other social networks. I also am a mature female gamer (not geeky in the least...at least not to me! lol). Good promotional opportunities and good linkbacks to my stores as well.

Don't participate a lot in most of them, but they are good for promotion. Opening an Egyptian Marketplace store in secondlife soon that links to my Real life store for one thing :yeahhh: And since I used to teach 3d Animation, it's a good opportunity for me to get back into (more primative) building an animating.

Brivtech,

True, my customers too, but all the more reason for them to hire those of us that know how to do it for them. Same with CubeCart, those that don't know how, hire those that do.

Jen

Yup, I agree, my old freelance graphic design customers would also be clueless, but since I am promoting my own businesses, its a lot easier. I wouldn't have time to do everything I do for myself for clients, which is why I stopped doing graphic & web design work a few years ago. The skills come in handy though for my own business :)

Has anyone tried YouTube for promotion, btw? I've been trying to come up with some video I could do as tie ins for my stores but haven't thought of it yet. I have video editing equipment in storage that would be nice to use again one of these days! I am thinking about doing some TV commercials in the near future, but since YouTube is free to post on, thought I would give things a try there first. If you are, what kind of video are you uploading?

Guest Brivtech

I have an advert in the making that'll be in you-tube in the spring. It's intended as an advertisement that's light-hearted, strangely enough features a stereotype geek (or is it nerd? I still don't know the difference - some Americanisms are alien to me.)

It's helpful that I moderate a popular amateur film-making forum, so have a full production crew, actors, editors, etc. available.

Geek and Nerd are different, at least in my opinion. Geeks tend to be smart, techy, gamers, etc. Nerds, are anti-social and seen as most likely not so attractive sometimes thought of as smart but definitely without the coolness factor the "geek" would have.

Or at least that is my take on the definitions. I would fit the Geek but not the Nerd.

Jen

• 1 month later...