Questions about hosting my new web site

Guest Mark Weigl

Guest Mark Weigl

I developed a new website with CubeCart but now have a few questions about hosting it.

1. I have heard of VPN hosting. I think it means Virtual Private Network but my question is how important is this? I have a previous website with a host that uses VPN but honestly I am not happy with their service and am looking at two other hosting services now, Bluehost and Host Gator, but they don't offer VPN. My current host, Westhost, does.

2. PCI Compliance. I know PCI Compliance is important. I have checked with the two above hosts and have only received a response from one but their response is they are PCI Compliant but only Levels A and B and not levels C and D. Is this a problem for credit card transactions?

3. Dedicated IP-I have already purchased a SSL through RapidSSL so won't be using Shared SSL. To use my own SSL that I purchased do I need a dedicated IP? Both of the above offer it but for an extra cost.

I appreciate help with the above questions.