digital download path

Guest william51

Guest william51

hi i am very new to cube cart i cant seem to get the download path right this is what is to look like /usr/local/vhosts/www.domain.com/downloads/download.exe (Recommended apart from the domai name i dont no what i need to change in this line can any one help please any help or info thanks william

It realy depends on how your host is set up

cPanel servers the path would look like this

/home/yourUserName/downloads/download.exe

and your store path would be

/home/yourUserName/public_html/

but every host can be different

so YOU need to know your servers path

and you will need a FTP program to log in and mkDir the downloads folder to store your digital products in

usually the same level as your site root (not in your site root like public_html) but on the same level

so the downloads are only accessible from the cubecart system

so without knowing your exact hosts path I cant advise you any further

Kinetic ;)

• 4 months later...
Guest lukab

I am another newbie. I've read my way through the forums and understand the concept of public folders. I also understand that every setup is a bit different. I sell tangible and digital items. I have created with Cpanel a download folder so my path to it is /home2/mylogin/download/myfile.pdf It would seem that should be correct. I am also careful to make sure that the file name is precise (caps are important). So, when I make a test purchase through PayPal, I get the appropriate emails. I then have to go into the admin and manually change the purchase from pending to processing to trigger the email that contains the actual download links. I really would like that to be automatic instead of requiring a manual change since my customers tend to expect an instant link. So, I'd love to hear if there is a mod available to fix that.

However, even more of concern is that when I get the emailed download link and attempt to click through and download, the file that is downloaded is empty... 0 bits. Also, a couple of attempts where two products were purchased, a double set of download links were sent. So, two products, four download links and all of the downloaded files empty. Hmmmm... really pulling my hair out over this one. Anyone have an idea? Please keep in mind that I'm not a coder. I am currently building this cart in a subdirectory to try to get it in tip top working order before I replace the current cart with CubeCart. My version is 3.0.17 My cart url is http://www.unitedcatholicartists.org/cart

Thank you so much for any help!

Ruth

• 4 months later...
Guest littlerivers

It realy depends on how your host is set up

cPanel servers the path would look like this

/home/yourUserName/downloads/download.exe

and your store path would be

/home/yourUserName/public_html/

but every host can be different

so YOU need to know your servers path

and you will need a FTP program to log in and mkDir the downloads folder to store your digital products in

usually the same level as your site root (not in your site root like public_html) but on the same level

so the downloads are only accessible from the cubecart system

so without knowing your exact hosts path I cant advise you any further

Kinetic :(

thanks for this note .. i'm new to cubecart also (using version 3.0.20 with paypal standard/ipn) .. when i type in the folder i made on the site root .. i get two emails .. one for the digital download . but the digital download link goes to a statement in the store that says 'sorry - your download link has expired or is not valid.' maybe my path is not correct .. but i've tried putting the downloads IN the 'public_html' also .. just to test the path .. both ways yield the same 'expired' email. any ideas?

• 1 month later...
Guest gtiserge

Another way around it is simply use the exact URL of your file location e.g http://uranus.com/saturn/pluto.exe then to protect your download folder from leechers, simply CHMOD it to OWNER = RWx WORLD = R (704 -rwx---r--), so that only access to download files will only be available from your webserver via Cubecart, if someone try to access the file directly without going via the special download link provided by Cubecart, they'll get access denied.