Shopping Basket retention....

stevemills

I've wound my way through this matter for about a week now, dealing with why some of my shoppers reported they couldn't find anything in their shopping basket on subsequent visits. I passed it off as problems on their end, assuming that CubeCart surely wouldn't be at fault, but I upgraded to 4.3.0 just in case there was something missing in 4.1.1, thinking surely it would fix itself this way.

But it's true.... Devellion has designed CubeCart to kill the ccUser cookie on log out or closing of the browse window. There is no option. This great ecommerce package deliberately dumps the choices people think they have "saved", only to let them learn later their time was completely wasted. The basket is empty. Seems unthinkable to me, especially when my personal experience on so many websites is contrary to this. I mistakenly assumed all store packages considered this a necessary feature. Not here, apparently.

But why not? Seriously.... is this a bad idea, to allow shoppers to actually shop before they buy? I think the odds are high that this design feature is costing us all a lot of frustrated no-sales. My store has nearly 600 photographs to select from, and you don't make selections from that sort of array quickly.

I think Devellion needs to reconsider this, making it something optional for store owners. Give us a time control for the life of the ccUser cookie. Dump personal info, perhaps, on logout but NOT basket contents.

Please.

• 2 weeks later...